turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Semi-auto vs. Pump - Recoil

Started by JUGHEAD, June 09, 2011, 10:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

Pumps tend to pattern better than Autos IME.  Some may disagree, just been a pattern I've noticed after patterning many turkey rigs. I say they tend to pattern better, but it's usually not by much.  IE comparing the same bore dias and bbl lengths with the same loads and chokes.  The pumps usually win the paper punching test, but as far as actually having an appreciable impact while hunting, not hardly.

Auto's definitely help with perceived recoil.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: gobblergls on June 09, 2011, 03:34:14 PMDoes anyone know if the Knoxx recoil reducing stock will interfere with the cyclying of autos? 
IF the one I bought will fit on the 935, then I'll let you guys know for sure how it does with cycling.  But, I'm not sure how applicable it will be on your intertia driven SBE though.

drenalinld

I think for most it is the lower cost of a pump even though when weighed out over a gun's life it may not be that significant. Most only consider what it costs now or just plain can't come up with the additional cash for an auto loader.

As far as performance the pumps yield some velocity advantage over a gas operated auto just as bolt action rifles offer some velocity gain over auto loaders.

I like them all and want as many as I can con my wife in to letting me buy! Some days I feel like a pump, other days I don't.

Reloader

Theron, that's why I went with the Sure Shot when I bought my last 1187.  My last two 1187s were heavy, but this SS was advertised at 7-5/8lbs.  I weighed it and it came in at 7-1/2 actually, which aint too shabby.  The newer SS model has ruber inlays, so it may actually weigh 7-5/8

gobblergls

Jughead,
It was pointed out to me in  a PM that most autos can't handle the Knoxx because of the bolt return spring in the auto's stock. 

VaTuRkStOmPeR

My browning recoils signicantly less than my 870 super mag but I could careless about recoil.  As long as it knocks the turkey senseless I'm fine dealing with punishment on the opposite end.

I could also careless about a difference of a pound or two even if I'm out in Wyoming covering 15 miles a day.

I carry whatever fits my fancy on that particular day.

Longshanks

When it comes to shooting turkey loads i stick with the 3in loads shooting a pump because they will simply kick the piss out of you. I shoot 3.5 in shells out of my Xtrema and shoot allot of 3in out of my Urika.  My Xtrema kicks less with 3.5 in shells than my Rem 870 does with 3in.  My 870's both have limbsaver butt pads..  I have had 3.5 in 870's and have sold them due to the ridiculous kick from a 3.5 in shell.  

Been shooting berettas for along time and have had several other beretta shotguns besides the ones i own now.  NO problems with the guns.  Something that sold me on Beretta was i went to several of the Shooting ranges in my area and noticed they all had berettas as demo guns.  They told me there was no other gun they would operate with besides a beretta when i comes to reliability..1000 of rounds a day and no problems as long as they are kept clean.

When it comes to shooting a rifle the bolt actions are simply more accurate..I have several automatic rifles and a BAR 7mm as well.  I also shoot a TC Pro hunter 300 mag with all the modifications you can do to one.. and even though i love the rifle..it wont shoot near what my bolt action will with the right ammo ..if you know anyone in the military that was or is a sniper..ask them what they would shoot..Ive asked our local military personel and there was no question..

Longshanks

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 10, 2011, 10:15:24 AM
I only notice recoil at the patterning board and once that's finished it's forgotten. Never ever seen anyone remark "Man that gun kicked!" after smoking a tom.

I seem to have a groove worn in my shoulder after about 20 days of hunting each season.  :toothy12: It's worth it to me to frett over the equipment weight I'm carrying, gun, boots, vest contents etc. I'm sure I hunt better and more successfully when I don't have a sore tail, raw feet and aching back.

I have sat beside folks and watched them shoot turkeys i called up with a 3.5 pump and it knocked them silly..ive seen it knock people over and ive seen them lay the gun down and whether or not they hit the turkey was secondary to the beating they just took..Ive also seen people develop some bad shooting habits anticipating the halacious kick from a 3.5 pump.

dirt road ninja

Price was the leading factor when I bought my first and only true turkey gun in 1995. I bought it because 1. it was affordable 2. it looked cool in camouflage. Lucky for me it shoots great and still looks good. I will be purchasing another turkey gun for my son before the spring and it to will be a pump. Mainly for safety reasons.

ncturkey

I bought a Remington 870 for my first turkey shotgun. After ten years of hunting with it I buoght a 11-87. Both were 3 " chambers. The 870 did kick more. I love both but prefer the 11-87. The 870 is lighter.

Mailman

My nova pump and my SBE2 weigh the same. The SBE patterns way better than the nova. Plus with the SBE there is no rattling from the pump. My SBE has never malfunctioned. The pump when shooting 3" will almost eject the shell from recoil unless you hold the pump forward really firmly. All my shot guns have been pumps till this SBE2 it is my favorite gun, and yes it cost alot more, but I'll never look back. BEST GUN I OWN BY FAR.
One Shot One Kill

Britton40

Ive been contemplating buying another Turkey gun myself.  I hunted this year with a Browning Silver 28".  It weighs 7 lbs 9 oz.  I hunted more this year than in the past.  I can see how weight comes into play when you walk 3-4 miles.

This year, I picked up a Mossberg 835 because of all of the hype on this site.  With 3.5" loads, it is significantly harder to make a follow up shot.  Pattern wise, the Browning Silver is better in most cases.  Im not on the #7 band wagon, so I will probably sell it with the stardot choke.

Im probably going to buy the Winchester SX3 in 26" for my dedicated turkey gun.  I have held both a Browning Silver and the Win SX3 and there is a very noticable difference in weight.  The SX 3 in 26" weighs 7 lbs and feels great. 

I want to keep the Silver for duck hunting because it swings sooo sweet.

However, the Silver got the job done during turkey season, with the 28" barrel never being an issue.

I'm really just trying to justify buying another gun. ;D

Mailman

One Shot One Kill

Reloader

Theron,

I thought the stock may be bulky, but after hunting with two SSs quite a bit the last few seasons, I can say that I've never noticed them in the field.