turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommended Diaphragm Combo Packs?

Started by mcw3734, January 18, 2022, 12:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

I've always hunted with only one go-to diaphragm call in my pocket. And I've killed my share of birds. But I want to improve my calling, specifically to get proficient and confident with that close-in chatter (purrs, bubble clucks, general soft talk). With that, I feel I need to experiment with a variety of diaphragm calls to find ones that work for me.

I know bigger companies (and maybe smaller operations?) make variety or combo packs. Can anybody recommend ones they've liked? I don't even know what would make a good variety pack. Maybe different cuts, latex thickness or tensions? I don't know, but any thoughts welcomed.

Full Disclosure: Compared to those of you reading this, I'm guessing my diaphragm calling skills are, at best, passable. My go-to call I mentioned has been a HS Strut Cutt'n 2.5 ("Our easiest to use!"). So, consider that.

Gooserbat

There is a reason I don't offer combo's...Every caller needs a different call due to their technique.  I build seventeen different models of mouth calls and still offer custom calls because there is always a place for a call for that one guy.  Not a bad thing just reality.  Now the first thing is to figure out your mechanics.  Do yo push a lot of air?  Do you favor one side over the other?  What's your style, soft or aggressive?  All these come into play when getting the right call for you to up your game.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

rong

GobbleNut

Quote from: mcw3734 on January 18, 2022, 12:23:15 AM
I don't even know what would make a good variety pack. Maybe different cuts, latex thickness or tensions? I don't know, but any thoughts welcomed.

Expanding a bit on the above and also on Sam's (Gooserbat) comments,...which are right on target:

Your question about "cuts, latex thickness, or tensions" is the common denominator for all mouth call users, whether they be new or experienced. The fact is that the combinations of all of those factors in assembling mouth calls are endless.  Sorting all that stuff out is not an easy task for anybody.  It is made even more complicated by the fact that most mouth call companies don't really give you much of the valuable information about the construction of their calls.  In essence, generally the only element you can identify is the cut in the call,...and that cut is only a single element out of many that determine what a call will sound like.  "What it will sound like" is also greatly dependent upon the skill-set of the user. 

You are looking for suggestions on how you should approach buying calls.  Here's mine:
Find a call maker that will make you some calls with specific reed construction but with no cuts. (again, Sam will do this as will some others).  Then, get you some scissors that will allow you to make the reed cuts yourself.  Unless you are well-versed on reed tensions, you will have to rely on the call maker to put the appropriate tension in the call reeds for you.  Unfortunately, that element is also not set in stone and varies depending on the reed material used. 

Now, take a look at some of the cut designs that call makers use.  You will notice that many of those designs are based on certain basic cuts in the top (primary) reed of the call.  Start your initial reed cuts by making a single cut in the reed,...then try the call to see how it sounds.  Keep doing this one cut at a time, working towards whatever call design you have in mind, but trying the call after each cut you make.  At some point in this process you are likely to hit upon a sound that you like,...but always remember that very small changes in the cuts in any call can result in drastic changes in how a call sounds.  (Note:  FYI, center V-cuts, combo cuts, batwing cuts, and the variations of all of these are based on a basic cut design)

More suggestions:  If you decide to order calls per the above suggestion, here are some pointers.  Be as specific about the reed layers and construction as you can. I would suggest two and three-reed calls to start with. If you can, get the reed information about calls that you have and like and use that as a starting point.  If you cannot, I would go with combinations of .004 or thinner.  Personally, I like a call with a .004 primary (top) reed over one or two reeds made up of .003 and/or .0025 and/or proph material. 

Unfortunately, things get muddled-up at this point because of all the reed color selections and combinations to be used.  Reed materials of the same thickness, but are different colors, can have different sound properties.  That sounds counterintuitive, but it is a reality.  I suppose that is a function of the latex "batch" and how it is made, but that is just a guess. 

Finally, if you decide to go ahead and order some combo pack from a call maker, always keep in mind that you can modify those calls by altering the cuts, as well, if it turns out that one or more of those calls doesn't work for you (which is very likely going to be the case).  But always remember, again, that VERY small changes in cuts on a call can significantly alter the sound of that call.   :icon_thumright: