OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roll Crimped Shell Length

Started by Otdrzman, March 17, 2022, 07:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otdrzman

Trying my hand at loading some TSS this season. After roll crimping a few rounds I noticed that the total length isn't the same between them. I followed the recipe to the T. Is it due to the amount of downward pressure when roll crimping? Have any of you guys that load your own noticed this? Thanks

jrinny

I roll crimp my loads and use my drill press that has a set-stop on it. It takes a few times to get the set stop adjusted... but once it is set- they are all consistent length. If using a hand held drill- I don't know how to go about it.

Dtrkyman

Mine got much more consistent when I trimmed the hulls slightly.  I use a piece of dowel rod with an exacto blade anchored in it, insert the dowel and rotate and it makes a clean cut.

This may vary by the actual load recipe you use?

Also use the dowel to pack the loads flat as well.

Otdrzman

Quote from: jrinny on March 17, 2022, 10:15:53 AM
I roll crimp my loads and use my drill press that has a set-stop on it. It takes a few times to get the set stop adjusted... but once it is set- they are all consistent length. If using a hand held drill- I don't know how to go about it.

I'm using a press as well. It doesn't have a stop though. I'll have to come up with something. Thanks

PapaDuck47

I like the idea of having a stop. I am just getting into loading my own shells and I'll have to add that as a needed tool.

Upfold99

Quote from: Otdrzman on March 17, 2022, 04:04:42 PM

I'm using a press as well. It doesn't have a stop though. I'll have to come up with something. Thanks
Could you adjust the table height and bottom the press out each time? You would still be creating the same stopping point.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

You would really have to put some pressure on it to have a drastic difference, once the crimp hits the over shot card it would take a lot to compress all that shot!