North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2022 Story Thread

Started by Delmar ODonnell, March 16, 2022, 03:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Quote from: zsully on May 04, 2022, 10:12:22 PM
Can we just go ahead and unanimous vote Delmar MVP of the OG turkey slaying contest and get that dude a trophy? Good grief Delmar! Congratulations!!

I'm not sure who'd even come in a close second...............     :agreed:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

harleytom

Congrats guys! Y'all are killing them, literally!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 04, 2022, 10:15:34 PM
Quote from: zsully on May 04, 2022, 10:12:22 PM
Can we just go ahead and unanimous vote Delmar MVP of the OG turkey slaying contest and get that dude a trophy? Good grief Delmar! Congratulations!!

I'm not sure who'd even come in a close second...............     :agreed:

It's unanimous, "The Mighty Delmar" is our MVP!.............
"Solo hunter"

Delmar ODonnell

I sure do appreciate the kind words guys, but my successes are much more a product of the time I get to spend in the woods than it is any skill. I start my job in June, so I won't be able to hunt this much for very longer. I'm certainly not trying to add up numbers, just trying to enjoy every day I'm allowed to be outside chasing God's greatest creation and not take a single one for granted.

POk3s

Delmar!! Congrats once again, and a big congratulations on taking your last exam ever! I, too, did that one time, but unlinked you, I didn't know that would be my last one!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Certainly can't fault a guy for hunting as much as he can when he's gifted that much time! Good on you! You never know when this opportunity will present itself again! MVP!

Tom007

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on May 05, 2022, 01:43:46 PM
I sure do appreciate the kind words guys, but my successes are much more a product of the time I get to spend in the woods than it is any skill. I start my job in June, so I won't be able to hunt this much for very longer. I'm certainly not trying to add up numbers, just trying to enjoy every day I'm allowed to be outside chasing God's greatest creation and not take a single one for granted.

You a humble guy, congrats on those birds my friend
"Solo hunter"

a_jabbo

FINALLY able to find some time to hit the keyboard and do a little story time.

Bird #1

After getting our butts absolutely handed to us on Saturday, I was feeling rather humbled. Given my work schedule, and having the ability to get out for a couple hours in the mornings during the week, I really wanted to hit it hard. Sunday I took a drive to try and do some long distance observing. Well, it didn't take long for me to hit one of our spots and be greeted with 3 gobblers out in a field. It was around 6:30, so I had a couple hours before fly up and I was committed to sticking with these birds to watch their every move. Motto- Don't leave birds to go find birds. I watched these birds for hours as they slowly made their way up the hill, and I watched them dip over the crest around 8:30 and new they wouldn't be far. I immediately called Zsully to go over the plan of attach. I arrived at 4:30 to our spot the next morning, and drove up the well road to make sure there wasn't anyone else there that had beat me to our spot. My heart sank, as I saw a truck in the headlights. Stopped and asked the gentleman if he was hunting, and it happened to be the well tender. SPHEWWW. Zach arrived shortly after I got parked and we made the walk in to get setup. Shortly after daylight, the gobblers started going off right out in front as I expected. The gobbles continued as it got lighter and lighter. We were setup probably 50 yards from a well road, and little did we know there was going to be a TON of well traffic that day. Truck after truck started passing, and I was sure it was going to mess the hunt up and push the birds away from us. It didn't seem to have an affect on them, as the gobbles continued to get closer. We had a hen come out to our right, and shortly after, 3 more hens came over the hill and we hanging out at 20 yards. Off to my left I saw a Jake crest the hill, and I heard Zach say he saw a full fan behind it. I saw the gobbler, and I could see a second gobbler behind him. I wanted us to double up, so I was trying to be patient and see if they would work into the decoys. The Jake came over and start pecking the decoy for a bit, and seemed to get uninterested pretty quickly. The gobblers were at about 25 yards to my left, and Zach was to my right. The hens started drifting away and appeared to be toting the gobblers with them. Zach said take the shot when I get it. Both gobblers were in view standing at full strut. BOOM!! I took the first one the gave me the most clear shot.

Bird #2

What can I say, besides, this mornings hunt was absolutely incredible. I got out late last night to scout around all of our properties we can hunt, and given the weather we had and the late evening, nothing was looking very promising for the next morning. At the very last property I was going to swing by, and mind you, it was about 8:20. I knew it was a shot in the dark and more than likely everything was roosted by now. I turn down the road, and just as I thought birds were roosted, but I had luck on my side and I was able to see them in the trees with my Bino's from a distance. Again, called Zach and came up with a plan for the morning. We knew we were going to be getting in pretty close to these birds, so we showed up pretty early and we were able to get through the woods to the gas line, luckily, without having to use any lights. And THANK GOD we were able to accomplish that. We pick our spot and sit and wait. As it starts to get just a little bit lighter, I could see a black blob in the trees at about 60 yards. Sure enough I was able to make out tail feathers moving up and down. We didn't realize just how tight we were going to be to these birds. Im watching this bird go in and out of half strut in the tree, and I slowly look around the tree to my right and can make out 5 other birds in a tree about 125 yards. The closest bird flew down around 5:50 and pitched out below us. Not a peep on the roost, but once he hit the ground he started letting every other bird know that it was time to come join him. The hens started in the trees, and then slowly one by one they all pitched out in his direction. Now there's two gobblers going off down the hill below us. I started getting mouthy with them on the call. Then out in front of us, 2 other gobblers start going off at probably 100-150 yards, and it sounds like they want to join the party. So I'm going back and forth with the hens, and all the gobblers are loving it. Responding to almost every call. The birds below us are working their way up to us, but behind us in the woods (we're setup in some brush on a gas line, facing the open gas line). I let out a series of cuts and fast yelps, they hammer at about 30 yards below us. I slowly look out the corner of my eye to the right and see 2 gobblers at 5 yards, They gobble and rattle my chest. Little did I know, there were actually 4 gobblers behind us, and then they all start sounding off in unison. Meanwhile, the two out in front are coming in hot. So I keep my eyes out in front, as the drumming from behind me was deafening. 2 jakes pop up to my right with a hen, and they stick to the edge of the woods on the other side of the gas line at about 30 yards. Then I look to my left and see the tips of a full fan. Then two heads pop up over the crest of a little lip in the terrain. We were using a strutter decoy and a feeding hen, but these two gobblers weren't looking for a fight. The slowly and cautiously worked their way closer. They start skirting the decoys at about 15 yards, and their gonna walk right in front of my gun barrel. When the strutter lined up....LIGHTS OUT!!! I was toting my grandfathers old Remington 11-87, that I started using last year, and this year I was determined to tag out with it. Mission accomplished. After the shot and a little quiet celebration, I said some words to the sky, and basked in the awesome morning we had just had.

twyatt

Congrats again on a heck of a season man.  Short, but definitely sweet. You guys have had some stellar hunts so far.   I could hear in both of ya'lls voices on the phone yesterday that #2 was definitely one you'll never forget.   I was grinning from ear to ear listening to the recap.  Days like that don't happen often, but boy are the special when they do.  And getting it done with your grandfather's gun - stellar work my man.

See you guys soon

ps - your pictures didn't work

Yoder409

Great stories !!!  LOVE it when they get in tight !!!

CONGRATS !!!!!!!

Yep.......... Need those pics fixed.  Wanna see these birds !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

a_jabbo

Tom007

Wow, fantastic, unreal team, wow
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Well, after spending almost everyday since Sundays NY opener, I finally nailed him. I found him pre-season, he seemed to be with a Jake too. On the May 1st opener, at daybreak he wasn't there. So I sat, finally at 8:00 am, he started gobbling. The Jake, (at least he sounded like one) also gobbled, but sparingly. Stayed with them till 11:00 am, they never came close to me. Answered very sparingly. Went back Monday (rain), no gobbling at all. Tuesday, Wednesday same silence. Yesterday, finally I heard him on the roost, but farther in the woods. He only gobbled on the limb, then silence. I sat till 10, then walked in to where I felt he was. Wala, found fresh gobbler tracks and the infamous J-shaped you know what. The logging path where he was led to the road where I parked this morning. He was well within the clubs property, so this am, I got up to a bad forecast for rain. I left at 3:30 am anyway, I wanted to give him a shot right at daybreak. I set up right off the path where 2 logging trails intersected. I set a Jake, and hen at the intersection. Daybreak hit, bang, he gobbled. I would guess about 200 yards away. Then, the Jake gobbled to my right about the same distance. I did 2 fly down flaps, and rustled the leaves. Boom, double gobbles. I scratched the leaves and clucked till around 7 am, they were gobbling sparingly, but not getting closer. It started raining, so I hit them with my Old Gobbler pushpins, a quick series of fighting purrs and cackling. They both hammered back. Silence for five minutes until a crow called, Boom, he gobbled about 50 yards away. I knew it was the big guy, then he appeared in full strut right behind my Jake decoy. 30 yards, bang. He took a ride home in my pick-up as the sky's cut loose. Thank you Lord....
"Solo hunter"

POk3s

Greatly job gentlemen! Sounds like some memorable hunts are happening!

a_jabbo

Persistence pays off!! Way to go, Tom. I love the coloration of that beard.

Meleagris gallopavo

Nice work fellas!  Keep after them!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.