turkeys for tomorrow

2022 Story Thread

Started by Delmar ODonnell, March 16, 2022, 03:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a_jabbo

Dang Pok, sorry to hear about the rough Kansas experience. I'd like to try my luck out there one day.

You're having a heck of a season, Del! Despite some rough moments, Congrats,,,, again! haha

Congrats Mel!!

As for the youth hunt and my calling...I definitely blacked out and forgot what I was doing. haha but given it was the first hunt of the season for us and those birds got so fired up, they made me even more fired up. Worked out to be a great hunt and a hilarious memory that will last a lifetime.

Heck yeah, Twyatt!! 

Tom007

Today is our second day in NJ. I Hunted from daybreak yesterday, did not hear a gobble. Covered a lot of ground, hunted till 11:30. Went to another spot today where I pre-season scouted. He was there, but roosted lower. I originally set up above him, but when he started gobbling, I knew I had to get down, closer. I made 2 moves in dark, finally nesting against a big pine. He gobbled at crows. I hit my push pin, 3 clucks. He gobbled.  I know he knew where I was. I used my hat, and did a fly-down, then scratched leaves. He double gobbled. A few minutes later, I heard him fly down in my direction. He was in thick cover. I hit the flute with a low cut, followed with 2 clucks on my pushpin. He gobbled, I am done calling. A few minutes later, I heard him coming. He popped up on a log trial at 30 yards. I saw he was a large bird, once I saw the beard, I waited, he started walking up trail along side me. I made my move when he stepped behind a tree, then he stepped out, I handed him some Fed Heavyweight number 7's. I was a happy camper, great cloudy day hunt. Thanks for listening....
"Solo hunter"

harleytom

Congrats Tom, nice bird!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

twyatt

JeffC

Awesome job, congrats Tom, They were pretty quite in SJ also. Was thinking they got hunted hard for youth opener?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Quote from: JeffC on April 26, 2022, 12:38:51 PM
Awesome job, congrats Tom, They were pretty quite in SJ also. Was thinking they got hunted hard for youth opener?

CONGRATS, Tom !!!!!!!     :icon_thumright:

Killerz just keep on killin' !!!     :you_rock:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Thanks team. I want to thank you for taking me on, looking forward to hopefully adding to our harvest. Let's stay at em, we got some more hunting!
"Solo hunter"

Mossyguy

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: JeffC on April 26, 2022, 12:38:51 PM

Thanks so much. I do not see many youth hunters in my area, not that there isn't any. It's just spotty with Tom's the last few years. I did about 20 days of scouting, only found a few Tom's. This is one of them. I did not go after him on opening day ( I should have) because he was in a tough spot that I felt he wouldn't get bothered. Thank god it seemed like he didn't, he gave me the opportunity and I got lucky...be well, best of luck moving forward...
"Solo hunter"

zsully

Congrats  Tom007!!!!! Real nice bird. Way to go man!

Meleagris gallopavo

Awesome bird Tom007!  Well done!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 28, 2022, 06:18:35 AM
Awesome bird Tom007!  Well done!

Quote from: zsully on April 27, 2022, 08:30:47 PM
Congrats  Tom007!!!!! Real nice bird. Way to go man!

Thank you so much for the opportunity......Be safe guys....
"Solo hunter"