Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I think I found my pattern problems, maybe.

Started by chipper, February 13, 2011, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

As posted in earlier threads, I haven't been to impressed with the patterns of my SX3, they were solid numbers at 40 but just not up to others on the sites #'s or up to my 870 sps. I started going over my gun this afternoon and re-cleaned the barrel and thought about putting some chrome polish to the barrel,I just could not figure out way it hasn't shot better than it has , then i looked at my IC choke and noticed what looked like a small black pin feather protruding out of one of the ports. I broke out the Hoppes and a bronze brush and started cleaning and could not believe the gunk that come out of that choke tube, it was filthy with residue and I honestly believe my #'s can't do anything but go up, I may go shoot here in a while but can't right now, Just something someone with pattern troubles might check.

Gobble!

The wad strippers get extremely dirty. Once the get full they will no longer strip away the wad like they should. So that should make a huge difference.

BigPeck215

usually clean the indian creeks every 5 or so shot in order to prevent residue from messing with the patterns, that gunk and plastic residue can really hurt patterns

VAHUNTER

i clean mine after every shot when checking patterns
Good things come to those who wait

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobble!

FullChoke

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 13, 2011, 07:27:08 PM
i clean mine after every shot when checking patterns

How clean do you clean it? Do you mean Bore Snake clean or Hoppe's #9 clean?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

HogBiologist

take a short rod with the 12 gauge brush and insert onto a drill.  On a medium speed I move the choke on and off the brush.  i use gun scrubber in between to loosen deposits and them finish with rem oil.
Certified Wildlife Biologist