turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Util Mag

Started by TurkeyAssassin, June 07, 2011, 09:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyAssassin

I have the Mossberg 835 Util Mag and was wonder what kind of scopes yall would prefer for it.  Also would love to have a pistol grip style stock.  Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Landon
Owner of FC Photography
www.facebook.com/FC.Photography01

ILIKEHEVI-13

Go to the scope section and you can read my post about this sight.  I have the TruGlo open red/green dot sight on my 835 and I really like it.  $80 bucks to my door and a lifetime warranty.  You can't beat that.  

BHhunter

I have one with a Nikon Monarch 1.5 - 4 x 20 shotgun scope with the turkey Pro reticle and I love it. I'll never go back from this scope. I have also heard good reports on the new Nikon Turkey Pro.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Another thing is that if you put a regular scope on a 835 that it will be very hard to work your top tang safety.  Something to think about.  That's what I found out.  

TurkeyAssassin

I am wanting to go with one of the ones like the tru glo open ones posted above.  Was just wanting everyone's opinions before I sank my money into something.
Owner of FC Photography

davisd9

I have a Simmons Prodiamond on my 835 right now and it did a great job.  Just added it this year and I really believe it will help cut do on misses, and give me more confidence in my shot.  With the open sights there were times that I rushed the shot and clean missed.  It does not add much weight to the gun.  It is a 4 X 32 mm.  I just ordered a bushnell from a fellow here on old gobbler and see how I like it.  Either way I would recommend giving a scope a thought.  Working the safety is not that hard.  It is covered a little but switching the safety back to the non fire mode is where you have to pay more attention, but I think that is a good thing cause you look closely at it.  Just my opinion, good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

I had a Bushnell Trophy on my 835.  And yes you can work the safety, but it is troublesome to do in my opinion.   Flipping it off safety to shoot is not the issue, but rather puting it back on safety was hard for me to do.  That's why I bought the Tasco sight above.  No more worries about working the safety.  It's just a better setup on the 835. 

sugarray

My choice is a open red dot.  I have the Mueller Quick Shot and love it.  The FF II is a great sight as well.  There are reviews of each in the optics section and plenty of folks using them now, so plenty of opinions.

fountain

i have 2..one th stock and the other is a turkey thug.  one has a bushnell trophy and te turkey thug came with a tru glo..no problems with either and both work great.  be careful with the pistol grip stock though.  i ordered one with my turkey thug and its nice and feels great, but you have to lift your head a bit to shoot through the scope, rather than having your head down hard on the stock like looking down a bead.  it does not feel good when ya shoot!  having your head lifted puts your cheek lower on the comb..the top of the stock falls bout the line of my mouth and it was painful the one and only time i shot it.  killed my bird, but bustted my mouth and lip pretty well.

goblr77

Simmons Prodiamond 4X with a Gamereaper mount. This is the second scope like this I've had on different 835's and had no problems out of either one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

beagler

Aimpont 9000sc red dot on my 835, love it.

Never Misses

TurkeyAssassin

Quote from: beagler on June 08, 2011, 06:20:34 PM
Aimpont 9000sc red dot on my 835, love it.

How much is that red dot?
Owner of FC Photography

beagler

They are expensive, around $400. You get what you pay for however. I have two Aimpoints, no problems. They withstand the heaviest recoil and get 50,000 hours battery life! Virtually indestructible, our military uses many of the Aimpoint scopes. Customer service/guarantee is fantastic as well.
Never Misses

TauntoHawk

reddots have won my heart in the turkey woods, id never hunt without one on my turkey gun

prices can get steep but there are cheaper options, ones that people have good experience with are

$100 range.. mueller, newer tru glow

$200 fast fire II is probably the best blend of price and performance

$400-500 aimpoint, eotec, leupold all make outstanding optics you'll love for life but price cant really be a factor

Lots of guys like there scope but i feel like reddot has more advantages since most guys with scopes keep the power as low as it goes anyways might as well just get a non magnified reflex sight with unlimited eye relief and parallax free
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ILIKEHEVI-13

I just posted 3 great deals on Tasco dot sights in the scope section.