turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

POI issues

Started by Waddle Whacker, June 07, 2011, 07:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Whacker

Has anyone on here had any experience with rhino correcting POI problems? I've shot rifle sights for years without a single problem, but it's always in the back of my mind, "what if my sights are off?, what if I break a sight off?, etc,etc....." It's just one more thing for me to think about, and would really prefer to shoot my bead, but I'm about 6" left. I emailed rhino and asked what they did to correct the problem and all I got was, we will do our best to get the gun to shoot straight. Would you guys recommend doing this or should I stick with the sights and TRY to forget about it?

drenalinld

Some gun manufacturers will repair it if the gun is off significantly. Have you tried different chokes?

Waddle Whacker

Yeah, I've been through 5 or 6 chokes, all with similar results. If it was new, I'd try to get Remington to fix it, but it's about 13 or 14 years old, one of the original 870 supermags with a 23 or 24" barrel in advantage camo. I guess I can deal with sights, but it'd be worth $90 to me if they could get it shooting straight.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Waddle Whacker on June 07, 2011, 07:36:27 PM
Has anyone on here had any experience with rhino correcting POI problems? I've shot rifle sights for years without a single problem, but it's always in the back of my mind, "what if my sights are off?, what if I break a sight off?, etc,etc....." It's just one more thing for me to think about, and would really prefer to shoot my bead, but I'm about 6" left. I emailed rhino and asked what they did to correct the problem and all I got was, we will do our best to get the gun to shoot straight. Would you guys recommend doing this or should I stick with the sights and TRY to forget about it?

Barrels can be bent to a certain extent and correct some/all of the POI issues. If you're 6" left at 40 yards but your elevation is okay that may be possible. The first thing of course is to try different chokes or shells but it sounds like you've already done that.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BHhunter

I sent a gun to Rhino some time ago and they supposedly "corrected" the POI. When I got it back the reciever was gouged and it was a fight to get them to fix it. They tried to blame me for the damage when I opened the box. Then they held the gun till I finally called again to ask on the progress and they told me it had been done for a while and they would send it back when I paid the shipping.
When I finally got to try it there was no difference in POI. I even sent them the shells I was shooting so all things would be the same.
They may have changed over the years, but I wouldn't send them a squirt gun.

boyhowdy

'a fortunate man is he that buys a shotgun that don't shoot crooked'

drenalinld

One thing you may try is having a reputable gunsmith take some length from the barrel and recut the the choke tube threads. If it is consistent with all chokes, the choke threads may not be square with barrel alignment and/or concentric with the bore. Might be a $75 - $100 fix with a small loss of barrel length.

Waddle Whacker

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds to me like I should probably just stick with the sights, but I think I will talk to a couple of local gunsmiths as well. Thanks again for the advice, Clay

Longshanks

Three berettas.  All of these guns are " on " POI/POA with the factory chokes. (Shooting 3' 3' peice of paper to make sure the whole pattern can be seen. )  Once i take out the factory chokes and go to aftermarket chokes that when the issues arise. With light payload ammo the POI/POA will stay on with some aftermarket chokes i have tested. Significant problems arise with 3.5 in Nitro 4x5x7 and 3.5 Hevi.  I dont have an explanation for this except  aftermarket supertight constriction chokes and heavy payloads seem to make the difference. Ive been told the 3.5 in wads are different as well and cause this.. I was about ready to send the guns back and my gunsmith suggested that i take each gun and run through all the factory chokes with lead...the barrels are fine and the factory simply would have sent them back to me.  Solution...tru glo sights on all of them.

If your barrel is bent there are a number of companys and gunsmiths that can straighten it without a problem. Ive had one gun in my life that had a bent barrel and it was a gun that spent allot of hours in the bottom of a duck boat..

Waddle Whacker

Very good point Longshanks. I'd hate to make a nice, straight barrel crooked.

Mailman

Did you try different loads? I have an SBE2 with a FF2 on it. When I load my shells and try different types of shot powders load oz etc. it changes the poi a lot of the times.
One Shot One Kill

Waddle Whacker

Yeah, I've tried many different load/choke combos, all with the same, fairly consistent, POI issues. How do you like that FF2? Just curious, I don't think I'd be any more accepting of an FF2 than I am of rifle sights. It seems I should just learn to be more accepting of sights and trust them, and I do to an extent. I guess I will just always have that bit of uncertainty tucked away in the back of my head somewhere.

Mailman

In my opinion the FF2 is the cats meow. You dont have to be ligned up exactly in line. If you can see the dot and you can put it on the target then your going to hit it. Takes a lot of human error out of shooting a shotgun. You cant go wrong by buying one.
One Shot One Kill