turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which do you think is more versatile

Started by Will, March 02, 2022, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

A long box or short box and why? I carry short boxes most of the time in the Spring but long boxes in the Fall and Winter. Out of both I think the long box is the most versatile. I can gobbler yelp, gobble, old salty hen yelp and mid range to high pitch hen yelp. I can also kee kee better on a long box. How about everyone else? I'm guessing for me the long box design makes it easier to get those deeper tones and that longer paddle allows me to get those nice kee kees and break into a nice yelp.

spurs2bgobblin

I cal tell you as far as versatile it's hard to beat a hen box but if you want something different check out Roger Parks long box. I've found no less than 12 hens in it. Really an awesome call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

Yoder409

Quote from: Will on March 02, 2022, 09:17:36 PM
A long box or short box and why? I carry short boxes most of the time in the Spring but long boxes in the Fall and Winter. Out of both I think the long box is the most versatile. I can gobbler yelp, gobble, old salty hen yelp and mid range to high pitch hen yelp. I can also kee kee better on a long box. How about everyone else? I'm guessing for me the long box design makes it easier to get those deeper tones and that longer paddle allows me to get those nice kee kees and break into a nice yelp.

I think you answered your own question quite well.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Jimspur

packmule

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2022, 10:39:41 PM
Quote from: Will on March 02, 2022, 09:17:36 PM

X2. A well made longbox is far more versatile as long as the guy running the call has spent the time to truly learn it. There are a lot of longboxes out there that are far more versatile than the capabilities of the guy running the call.

paboxcall

Quote from: packmule on March 02, 2022, 11:10:55 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2022, 10:39:41 PM

X2. A well made longbox is far more versatile as long as the guy running the call has spent the time to truly learn it. There are a lot of longboxes out there that are far more versatile than the capabilities of the guy running the call.

:agreed:

Nothing a vest full of calls can do that a well-tuned longbox can't.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

SwampRooster17

Definitely a long box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler428

yelpy

The long box is a more versatile call by design. 

Greg Massey

By design a short box is easier to play and carry. With long box your going to have more turkey's in the call.. so the long box is more versatile. But in the heat of the battle i will take the short box over the long box for most of my calling needs.  But again a long box has it's place also in my arsenal of calls same with hen boxes i like those also in my arsenal of calls.  Lot of it has to do with what you really want to play and carry.. IMO

Tom007

It seems like the long box can do everything the short box does and more....The only drawback is it's size when carrying in the field.....
"Solo hunter"

Bowguy