OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pre-Dawn Information For Strangers In Parking Areas??

Started by quavers59, February 27, 2022, 04:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

This is a true story. I have a buddy I have hunted with a good bit. He is a war vet and yes suffers from PTSD. One day we're on a trail and some trail runners (those who hurry past you after your already walking in) came rushing by. He just yells the F word and fires a round in the air and gets a crazy look in his eyes. They stop and turn around and start to get mouthy and he just stares at them. I think fast and tell them hey guys just be cool he's a double purple heart War Vet(true) and has serious PTSD. They start apologizing and slip past us and boogy back to their truck. Still about to crap my pants I turn to him and he burst out laughing and said, I love it when that works. I told him it would have been sweet to have let me in on the act. I was afraid we'd have the law descending on us, but we didn't. He said, "man we got use that some more and I told him I didn't think  it was a good idea. Hey we hunted that area all week by ourselves. I even heard guys in a local restaurant talking about don't go to "X" forest road there's a crazy burnt out war vet hunting there, he'll shoot you. My buddy is one of the safest nice guys in the world.

Spurs

90% of the time that I've ran into other hunters, I've somehow convinced them to let me have the area.  Had several occasions where the guy/guys got out, got ready, then packed up to go somewhere else. 

I did have one 'touchy' situation a few years back in AL.  I, from Arkansas, parked at a gate for the 3rd morning in a row very early one morning.  After sitting for a couple hours watching a coupe vehicles drive by, I decided to begin my trek.  As I was about to walk thru the gate, a vehicle turned in.  Deciding to talk to them, I approached their truck.  The driver rolled his window down and exclaimed, "Hope you don't mind company!".  I calmly told him that I had roosted a bird and that I would likely be hunting a particular knob...but if that spot failed, I was abandoning the area to look for fresh ground.  The passenger then piped up, "Well, just don't be between me and that bird and we won't have any problems."  Now at this point, I'll admit that I got a little nervous.  I told them both again, almost word for word, my plan, but I ended my sentence with, "Now let's act like grownups instead of the high school bullies".  I did not wait around for a reply and took off down the trail.  I waited just off the trail where I would turn off for the knob for a good spell.  Those guys never came in.  Had, what I described as, one of my more memorable roost hunts.  Got back to the truck and could see where the guys walked around their truck and never left the parking lot.

One thing I will never do is let someone else spook me off of a spot if I was the first one there.  To me, that will only embolden them to continuously abuse others. 
This year is going to suck!!!

Howie g

Quote from: Turkeyfever on February 27, 2022, 07:40:03 PM
I always try to be first to a spot, if I am not , I simply move on to another. The thing is when people ask where I am going my basic answer is wherever one gobbles. That is really where I am going to go.  If I am first and guys come in as described I simply just move on somewhere else as I am not taking a chance on guys that I don't even  know coming in on the other side of a gobbling bird, again that's where everyone is going to a gobbling bird. It's just not worth it to me, if I have birds roosted then I better make sure I am first to the spot or they are all yours! Just the way I do it
100 %

joey46

Now that we've read some of the more interesting comments on this thread let's throw the e bikers into the equation.  My 2022 philosophy is this:  If I'm FIRST on a walk in trail and get passed by an e bike or pre-dawn jogger I'll just continue to where I intended and it may then become a very crowded spot.    :OGturkeyhead:

Add - wasn't going to comment on "eggshell"s" PTSD story but I will.  You may have been one second away from a bloodbath.  Nothing cute or clever about armed confrontations in the dark.  In Florida he would have been "Baker Acted" for mental problems.  We just had a 73 year old acquitted for a movie theatre shooting involving thrown popcorn (google it).  Think about the self defense justification for being surprised by a shotgun blast from a guy with a crazy look in his eyes.  Jeez!   

quavers59

Good varied replies mostly-except for a few.This Thread was aimed at Newer Turkey Hunters to this site who may not have seen this topic before.
   I usually park at 3.35am. That is my goal. Never later then 3.40am. That is why- 99% of the time,I am 1st to park. And a slow walk or Mountain Bike ride in.
   For the Newer Turkey Hunters here- you will see your first vehicle  to pull in at roughly- 3.45am. Before that,I am in with a Slow Walk or Mountain  Bike Ride.
   Flashlights?- Better take one. Most Dirt access roads are going to have potholes. A Broken Ankle  is not worth it to walk in the Pitch Black- no matter how good your Night Vision is. With a Mountain  Bike- that Flashlight is even more important-- I know.
  Besides- Bigfoot is Nocturnal and without a Flashlight- he may come to check you out- lol!
   As a former Martial Arts instructor--41st year starts in March- avoid if possible  all pre Dawn Talk. The Guy pulling in may not be a Turkey Hunter. Your Safety  First.
   Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

eggshell

joey46, you are right and we had a conversation about it. It was the last time he done it, with me anyway. I haven't hunted with him in years and that is part of why, but mostly because he went through some treatment and decided he should hunt by himself.  I feared a bigger incident. I apologize if it sounded like I approved. He has gotten professional help and is quite stable, now. We are still great friends and I would never abandon him because of issues that are a result of him defending my freedom. Yes some vets have issues, but they deserve our love and help. Never should anyone pull that stunt. I guess I shouldn't have told it.

aclawrence

I wouldn't apologize for telling the story eggshell.  I appreciate your buddies service and agree that sounded like a terrible and dangerous plan. Sounds like your quick thinking help de-escalate the situation. There has been some interesting advice shared here. Some people like to talk, some go right in to avoid talking, and some avoid talking for potential safety issues. I see comments about finding a place to hunt away from all the pressure. That would be a dream come true. I wouldn't hesitate at all to walk 2-3 miles to get away from people, but where I hunt when you walk that far you end up just getting close to another road on the backside of the property.  And frustratingly it seems like the turkeys like to be close to the gates and roads. There are gates that always get pounded but there are always turkeys close by. I have walked as far in as I can into places and find no turkeys there. So I am stuck in the first to the gate game, and I guess I fall into the get there first, get out and start walking before anyone pulls in crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

If I have to have a pre dawn conversation with someone, shame on me for getting up late as them. Shame on me too for picking a spot other guys will be. In all my years only once have I had this happen. It was youth day on the refuge. The birds were very consistsnt and visible. It was youth day so I figured low chances of someone else coming in.
I did leave slightly later as my kids were 14 and 11. So we got there and were walking across the street from where parked. Almost into brush when a truck pulls up asks where I'm headed. I say there. He says where in there? It's a small piece and I inform he I'm not getting into a calling contest with him. If he insists he's going in there with me I'll leave but I wouldn't do it to him.
He says he's not sure where else to go. Shame on him right? Anyhow I tell him if he goes here I'm going to a spot up the road with equally patternable and consistent birds. I'll tell him where.
After I give him directions we go in and kill a bird. I'd be pretty sure he had a solid chance if he could turkey hunt but being he knew one place idk. Never saw him again Only time I ever had interference like that. Pick better spots imo. That was a youth day easy pickings first shot. I'd never do that reg season.

Flagobbler

I don't roll into public land until 10am-11am.  Avoid the crowds and henned up gobblers.  Kill a lot of birds between 11am-3pm.  That early morning rat race on public land is for the birds  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

the Ward

Quote from: Flagobbler on February 28, 2022, 09:25:58 AM
I don't roll into public land until 10am-11am.  Avoid the crowds and henned up gobblers.  Kill a lot of birds between 11am-3pm.  That early morning rat race on public land is for the birds  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
don't let the cat out of the bag lol!

Brian Fahs

I hunt a lot of highly pressured public land in the northeast. For the most part being parked first at a gate means little to most guys there. A much bigger problem is the extensive road systems in most of the forest. Usually a gobbling bird will see pressure from 360 degrees.

I pretty much live in my truck and sleep where I roost and hunt. I go early and stay late so I really never interact with guys at the truck. The few times I have have usually ended up poorly for myself. When the first bird gobbles or one won't shut up, Deals made in the parking lot last shorter than toilet paper in a rainstorm.

The original post said about guys in their late 20s or early 30s. Most guys that age do not have the time or patience to hunt a lot. The 60+ guys usuallyhave the time and patience. So many times we feel like it's a race to kill one and we miss the whole experience for that.

For me turkey hunting is a personal quest to match wits with an old gobbler on his terms in his house. While it's OK to be a little competitive at times with other hunters, 5he big prize is the experience.

g8rvet

I hunt a very large area and pretty much there are no secrets.  All the land is mostly in blocks, so walking in a mile just gets you to another road.  There are pockets that hold birds and lots of us park where it is not so obvious where we are hunting.  Have been 3/4 mile away from truck and had someone come in by water and mess me up.  Not their fault, not my fault, just happened. 

I came to turkey hunting later in life (early 30s) and from the duck hunting tradition.  I have had countless pre-dawn talks with folks about setups and being too close, etc.  It is just second nature to chat with folks. I would say  more than 50% of the time when I talk with someone, we either know each other or I know their family.  The vast majority of the time we can work something out.

The COVID year was rough with tons of new hunters and young inexperienced hunters that were just not taught hunter ethics properly.  I talked to a few of them, but usually avoided them. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GobbleNut

Not sure, but I would bet almost every area of the country has those spots that are known hotspots, as well as other places that are not so much.  I would also bet that the vast majority of the hunting pressure in most areas occurs in the first week or two of the season, and especially on the first weekend or two. 

Taking that into account, I always avoid those hotspot areas during those time periods when I know there is likely to be competition, and conversely, I will look for alternate areas where I know there are fewer birds, but I also know I am unlikely to have to deal with debates about who gets to hunt where.  I leave those hotspot areas until later on in the season when most folks have given up,...that is if I am still hunting. 

g8rvet

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2022, 06:03:42 PM
Not sure, but I would bet almost every area of the country has those spots that are known hotspots, as well as other places that are not so much.  I would also bet that the vast majority of the hunting pressure in most areas occurs in the first week or two of the season, and especially on the first weekend or two. 

Taking that into account, I always avoid those hotspot areas during those time periods when I know there is likely to be competition, and conversely, I will look for alternate areas where I know there are fewer birds, but I also know I am unlikely to have to deal with debates about who gets to hunt where.  I leave those hotspot areas until later on in the season when most folks have given up,...that is if I am still hunting.

And that pretty much sums up my hunting strategy when choosing where to go.  I do tend to hunt more in those "hotspots" on weekdays and have done so quite successfully, especially later in the season.  I also hunt a few public spots that are quota.  Both are relatively uncrowded and while they are hotspots, the draw is pretty limited.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

eggshell

One of my favorite spots in another state is what locals call the Out-of-stater zoo. You rarely see a local there and it's one of those "let's fight it out at the gate" spots. I usually don't even go in until just before gobble time. I drive through until I see an open parking area and then go. There is one area that is 5 miles long and if there is a single vehicle or maybe two I will still go into it. I will wait until daylight and listen as I go. Before I set up I listen to see if I hear any calls, if I do I move on. If no calls in 10-20 minutes I call to the bird, if he cuts me off I set up. This area has several branch offs and everyone goes up the big ones. I go up the little steep ones that are a pain in the butt. I have killed a pretty fair bunch of birds in this zoo and never ever had a conflict. We also cross a river in one area. Also, I have killed many late day birds there. In one spot I don't even show up until after 11:00AM. In all the years I have killed 40+ birds right in the zoo. Don't tell me with a little thought, courtesy and strategy it can't be done.