Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pre-Dawn Information For Strangers In Parking Areas??

Started by quavers59, February 27, 2022, 04:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Personally, I just try to avoid putting myself in situations like the one described.  I avoid them by specifically looking for places to hunt that I have plenty of options to move to another area,...or another,...until I have found a spot where nobody else is hunting on that particular day.  That is also the reason that any place I go to hunt, I have studied maps, OnX, Google Earth and whatever other sources I can find to be knowledgeable about every public hunting opportunity there might be in any given area.

Granted, I don't live where public hunting opportunities might be so limited that a person could not do the above.  Maybe there are places where a guy is resigned to having to deal with that.  However, I think there are few places in the country...even with today's hunting pressure...that making the effort to drive a few extra hours to get to an area with more public-land hunting options is not feasible. 

Bottom line is that I will go the extra mile to expand my options for places to hunt rather than putting up with the kind of stuff outlined in this example.  I would rather drive several hours to find those places than drive a half-hour to hunt a convenient spot that I know there is good chance I will run into folks like those described.  For those that are absolutely forced to deal with that kind of stuff without alternatives,...well, I feel for ya'...

the Ward

Talking to strangers, in the dark, at a parking area in a remote location, is not recommended. I have seen documentaries that started this way.

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

silvestris

TSS retains a punch for a long distance. For that reason and for my desire for solitude, I strive to avoid crowds.  My lead loads have produced for nearly a fifty years and I like them close and personal.  I also cherish my tomorrows.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

I just tell 'em to enjoy the spot, and save some energy to change four flat tires when you come back out. :smiley-char092:

OK, not really.  I've had the conversation at the parking area, and when they ask where I'm heading I tell them in general terms.  That way I've sort of claimed the spot first and most will respect that.  But then, I've been the first one there when having those conversations too.
I've seen some pretty rude behavior on public land but I've not often been the victim of it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Kindness to each other does a lot more than being hateful to each other. Life is way to short to argue over a turkey. If you are first at that spot just explain your game plan to them and continue on with your plan of hunting that area. Those who showed up later than you could of done the same and they had ever opportunity to be at that spot like you did before you.. Why should you be the one who should get run off, you made a better effort in hunting that spot that morning. I've gone to public ground and parked at 10 clock at night and sleep in my truck, to get ready for that morning hunt and being first to hunting that section of public.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 27, 2022, 02:53:51 PM
Kindness to each other does a lot more than being hateful to each other. Life is way to short to argue over a turkey. If you are first at that spot just explain your game plan to them and continue on with your plan of hunting that area. Those who showed up later than you could of done the same and they had ever opportunity to be at that spot like you did before you.. Why should you be the one who should get run off, you made a better effort in hunting that spot that morning. I've gone to public ground and parked at 10 clock at night and sleep in my truck, to get ready for that morning hunt and being first to hunting that section of public.

Well said Greg...
"Solo hunter"

Old Gobbler

Me personally I avoid any area that I think that anyone will remotely show up ... I have far better success avoiding"slam pit" crowded areas

if I'm in a remote areas SHOW UP EARLY ..if you park up on me in a small area... they will I run a gambit of mind games  to a level no sane individual could fathom ...never talk to them ...wait till dark when roosting ...hunters always assume you are hunting in your area , and talking to them will never work to your advantage , if you come back to your truck and they come up to you ....jump in or out ..of your truck fast and leave abruptly..if you have to converse with them ..the first person to talk looses the mind games ...

I used to actually carry extra soft gun cases ..unzip them leave them on the hood of my truck , same goes with extra opened energy drinks left on the hood ...signs stuck up "hunters ahead"  make them think the area is already loaded with numerous individuals already GO AWAY  etc..

I don't resort to threats ....if it comes down to that is what it takes to kill a bird , I find another spot and walk , swim , pedal or row ...far...far away

Tranquility is a hunters best friend I'm friendly if you look like you know what your doing and you are courteous too ..if not the mind games start ..if that doesn't work..well there is always somewhere else
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Greg Massey

I have no reason to play mine games with anyone .. I feel i have the means and skills to kill a turkey as good as anyone else. When leaving the truck i feel i have the best gun, calls and woodsmanship skills to compete with anyone in the woods. Positive attitude, can help you kill a lot of birds in my opinion.

WV Flopper

In your scenario if you would have left the parking lot 20 minutes ahead of those guys arriving they would have still showed up at the same field. They were going in when it's obvious you were already there and going in.

I don't like extra competition, but I am not leaving because of it unless I feel unsafe. I would go in there in this scenario.

guesswho

I think you should drop us a pin on a map showing where this scenario happened.    That way we can see the large field and parking area to get a better idea of how we would handle it. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Kylongspur88

I don't give info at parking areas if I'm at one and public land is first come first serve. But honestly most of the public ground I target is hard to access anyway so there just aren't many people. I have 2 criteria for public ground...you have to either 1. climb a big hill or 2. cross water to access. Either of those 2 will put distance between me and the majority of other folks.

greencop01

I always have plan A or B or C or D. Ain't worth it to ruin your day. And usually the way you describe them, they're not getting that Tom anyway. It's not worth the hassle or my safety, the hell with them and move on. I'm 69 and dealing with cancer, life is short, ENJOY it.  :z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

TurkeyReaper69

Typically, I'm the kind of guy who believes in "first come, first serve", If I am beat to a gate that is less than a few thousand acres of access I turn around with a back up plan. There have been many times at a local area I hunt this particular gate accesses around 6500 acres and there's no other easy way to get to this land other than that gate. I understand I can't hog that much land to myself. If I beat someone or vice versa I'd rather be very vague and take the chance of a hunt being ruined rather than give up my spot to those fellas who are liable to show back up and hunt in "my" area while I am away another day.

Turkeyfever

I always try to be first to a spot, if I am not , I simply move on to another. The thing is when people ask where I am going my basic answer is wherever one gobbles. That is really where I am going to go.  If I am first and guys come in as described I simply just move on somewhere else as I am not taking a chance on guys that I don't even  know coming in on the other side of a gobbling bird, again that's where everyone is going to a gobbling bird. It's just not worth it to me, if I have birds roosted then I better make sure I am first to the spot or they are all yours! Just the way I do it