Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pre-Dawn Information For Strangers In Parking Areas??

Started by quavers59, February 27, 2022, 04:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

So here is the Scenario- You drive in to a Public Parking area at 3.40am. You are the 1st Man there.You get your Gear out and on to your hood while enjoying Coffee.You plan to Hike that 1 Mile in to a Huge + Beautiful  Field at 4.00am.
   You see Headlights very slowly enter the parking area. The Driver then spots your Truck and Parks fast. 3 Men Jump out- ( Utube Group)?? You decide to Hike in early.
   Just as you are starting to walk in with your Flashlight which is on now- 1 of the Men approaches  with his Flashlight on as well. Meanwhile the 2 other Men are in Fast Mode and Grabbing stuff.
   And you hear the Dreaded Questions " or" Statement--. Bob and,I Roosted 3 Gobblers in the Largest Field here about 1 Mile in-- you're  not heading that way- Right?!
  Or- Where are you heading to Bud? More Small talk ensues for another few minutes-- important  minutes to put yourself a good few hundred yards ahead ahead of these Guys- all in their late 20s and early 30s. Meanwhile-- you are on the Wrong side of 60+.
   The 2 Guys at the Truck are done. It gets Locked up and one of the young guys is carrying a vest and a Shotgun.
  Old Timer- we all are going to hit that Huge Field about 1 mile in. We best get moving. In they go- 3 Flashlights bobbing this way and that.
   Being the Nice Guy has Snookered you again..
   Ok-- So - for " Safety" reasons should you divulge  all your hard won information  to a Stranger or " 3" when one of them approaches your Truck at 3.45am. You think to yourself- he will tell a friend and that friend will tell another one..
  Or is it better to be ready to walk in Briskly when you see Headlights getting Brighter and nearer to the parking area? To avoid the Question that you know is coming- Where are you going?!
    Some will try to " place you" in another area where they know- this 1 Gobbler is always there.
    My Brother in Law always had the right answer to this pre Dawn Question or statement-- Where You Going. I am going where the Turkeys Are.
  Just seems like especially  these last 2 Springs with more out because of the Chinese Virus- that pre dawn question is becoming more common. Sometimes a 3rd Truck pulls in and that Man hears all the information  while being silent himself. He just may have learned about a New Hotspot!
  So- what you say? Divulge  everything  for Safety Reasons or " like me"- Walk in Briskly and avoid all conversation ?

Cowboy

If I'm there first, I'll be on my way to the spot, dealing with the aftermath later. That is someone moving in on the gobbler etc. First off, if they come late or come in blind without roosting a bird or whatever I don't want to let them know about the turkeys I've worked for with scouting/listening. If I know someone has moved in on me or I think they are getting too close for safety reasons I pull out. On the flip side, if someone is there first, I will head out to another location. Period. Lots of the guys nowadays dont care about hunter etiquette  at all. They will walk on in or ride a 4 wheeler past you regardless of your little parking lot talk. I think of SAFETY first. Not worth a shooting accident.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Plan on a bad hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Tom007

You could mention to them you just came back to your truck because 2 guys in your hunting party "forgot their shells"..........if that doesn't deter them, move on cause it will not be a fun hunt...
"Solo hunter"

eggshell

I think it's time to throw some lime on this dead horse and leave it lay. "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and loose his soul". Those words come from a mighty fine book. The reason we get mad at scenarios like this is because we are selfish and self-centered. With that said, the crew in your scenario is the same only to a higher degree. Life is a series of choices everyday and we can choose to be bitter or better. Sure it sucks to see someone be rude and inconsiderate, but that does not mean we return the same attitude. The moment you pulled into the gate you should understand you may need a plan "B". I don't go into bars run by gangs, because I know the consequences are most likely bad for me. Why do we expect public access to be anymore then what it is, a free-for-all.

In your scenario, I would tell the young men my plan and approximate hunting area. I would also ask if they would agree to give me the first 2 hrs in said spot. You'd be surprised how many will agree if you kindly ask. As for keeping secret spots. there are no secret spots on public land, come on. If there's a trail or road that leads to it then people are there. Some spots are too tough for most and that makes them less used, but they are not secret. If the crew heads in ahead of me and just ignores my request, then I don't want to hunt near them. Again, have a plan "B" and even "c", and move on. The other choice is to go ahead and try and find a bird you can work alone. Whatever, make the choice that preserves your happiness as best you can. I don't get up in the morning to go hunting and be mad, I can stay home or go to work and do that. A good day in the woods should be joy in it's self, why do we have to kill a turkey to be happy. Heck, ask the bums if you can go along and watch, I bet they'll end up telling you more secrets then you tell them, that's why they are doing what they do, to get attention and validate themselves....those kind like to talk a lot. It also depends on the size of the area. In a small area I will pull out and in a big one go and do the best I can to find a bird. When I leave, if they were friendly during the talk,  I will stick a note on their windshield and leave my cell number. I will simply say good luck and text me how you done, I plan to hunt here again and would appreciate any info you could share, be blessed.

Tom007

Quote from: eggshell on February 27, 2022, 07:13:15 AM
I think it's time to throw some lime on this dead horse and leave it lay. "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and loose his soul". Those words come from a mighty fine book. The reason we get mad at scenarios like this is because we are selfish and self-centered. With that said, the crew in your scenario is the same only to a higher degree. Life is a series of choices everyday and we can choose to be bitter or better. Sure it sucks to see someone be rude and inconsiderate, but that does not mean we return the same attitude. The moment you pulled into the gate you should understand you may need a plan "B". I don't go into bars run by gangs, because I know the consequences are most likely bad for me. Why do we expect public access to be anymore then what it is, a free-for-all.

In your scenario, I would tell the young men my plan and approximate hunting area. I would also ask if they would agree to give me the first 2 hrs in said spot. You'd be surprised how many will agree if you kindly ask. As for keeping secret spots. there are no secret spots on public land, come on. If there's a trail or road that leads to it then people are there. Some spots are too tough for most and that makes them less used, but they are not secret. If the crew heads in ahead of me and just ignores my request, then I don't want to hunt near them. Again, have a plan "B" and even "c", and move on. The other choice is to go ahead and try and find a bird you can work alone. Whatever, make the choice that preserves your happiness as best you can. I don't get up in the morning to go hunting and be mad, I can stay home or go to work and do that. A good day in the woods should be joy in it's self, why do we have to kill a turkey to be happy. Heck, ask the bums if you can go along and watch, I bet they'll end up telling you more secrets then you tell them, that's why they are doing what they do, to get attention and validate themselves....those kind like to talk a lot. It also depends on the size of the area. In a small area I will pull out and in a big one go and do the best I can to find a bird. When I leave, if they were friendly during the talk,  I will stick a note on their windshield and leave my cell number. I will simply say good luck and text me how you done, I plan to hunt here again and would appreciate any info you could share, be blessed.

If everyone out there had ethics such as yours, there would be no problems on any of our public lands...well said
"Solo hunter"

Pluffmud

I've posed similar scenarios before and have had different responses, as expected. I've also been first, second, third to pull up at a place. After all the situations I've dealt with, anymore what it really boils down to is, more or less, if I'm not first, I'm moving on to the next area, until I'm alone. What happens after that, is up to the next guy. I can't control someone walking in on me, but I can hunt smaller areas which deter people from wanting to squeeze in.

Now to answer your question, for the most part, if I'm first, I quickly get everything together, and get ready to walk in so I can be gone before the vehicle gets to me. I've tried doing the nice guy thing a few times before and all too often get shafted. I can be a nice guy and talk after the hunt.
Psalm 46:10

mikejd

In a place where I am likely to run into others I get there earlier and am gone before anyone rolls in. Let them wonder where you are.

quavers59

Right Pluffmud +Mikejd-- I am parked 1st 99% of the time and immediately Walk on in.
   The scenario above no longer happens to me. I am the Nice guy later on in the parking area. Since,I Hike Mountains often and Flats year round,I am in shape for plenty of Turkey Season walking. I have a 90 minute Hike later today.
   Perhaps some newcomers here will see this Thread and then also- get in Quick and unseen before anyone else Parks.
   Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

Ranger

I agree with others, go earlier and walk in. Also I keep an appearance of mess around and find out and it prevents a lot of those encounters from ever happening. And flashlights, not during turkey season no matter how early it is
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

arkrem870

I would tell them what your plan was when you drove up there. If it turns out they are going in there regardless I'd just go elsewhere. I've fought that fight and I'm over it.  I try to avoid parking areas altogether or any areas that might have easy / obvious access to other hunters.

Master Gobbie

Quote from: Tom007 on February 27, 2022, 07:06:36 AM
You could mention to them you just came back to your truck because 2 guys in your hunting party "forgot their shells"..........if that doesn't deter them, move on cause it will not be a fun hunt...

GENIUS!!!
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Tom007

Just a friendly "fib" to see if it's worth the potential interference, and definite safety issue.....
"Solo hunter"

Dtrkyman

I hunt public often, this is not a very common problem for me.  I typically try and have a conversation with anyone who shows up, If I roll up to a spot and there is a car there I keep going 99 percent of the time.

Couple times I stopped and talked to who was there first to find out they are heading a different direction anyway.

Ran into a guy last year, found out he was a rookie turkey hunter, chatted for a while and shared some info, hunted with him for a day and a half, called him in a bird that never presented a shot though.  He had to leave, I stayed and killed that bird in an area he shared with me.

Another time I stopped at a gate, had birds roosted way back from it, car was there but a large closed road went back in and split, walked to the split and the guy was standing there, quick conversation and we were headed to different turkeys.