turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Straight tip or flare tip strikers

Started by jbrown, March 29, 2022, 01:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

Which do you prefer straight tip or flare tip strikers? Do you think that there is an advantage to either? Is either type better for certain calls, like clucks, yelps, purrs or cutting?

outdoors

I use both depends on what the pot likes
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Swamp

Personally I can run both to me it's more about the profile on the actual tip. I like mine pretty flat, slightly rounded. It can be straight or flared. I've attached a picture of what I'm doing a terrible job of explaining lol. I feel like this shape is by far the easiest to run and control.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

spurs2bgobblin

I guess I'm an odd one too because I like both if they're done right I hate a huge flared tip though. I really like Jeff, Stuckey, Roberts and Wendell's flare tips. Fowler is about as good a straight tip as they come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

Sir-diealot

Flared or the more pronounced mushroom tip is what I really like.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ChesterCopperpot

spurs2bgobblin

"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

turkeyfool

I have so many strikers from all of the guys mentioned and I wish I could find more that were almost straight tips but just slightly flaired. I think the best one I've found so far is a Clay Townsend dymanwood 2 piece

Zobo

I know it's probably just in my head, but I feel more in control with a straight tipped striker.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Ches.

I must have close to 15 strikers now, the striker makes the call IMO, not the other way around. I have aluminum, copper, slate, and crystal calls and strikers work on some and not others. I take a call, them run thru all the strikers and put them in two piles. Then take the good pile and do it again till I get it down to one or two, then mark which call it worked on. I have one go to striker that sounds great on all of them and another that almost does. One is flared and the other rounded. I tend to work flared better but they both work. I have two that don't work for beans, but I keep them because they may play on my next pot.
Ches.