OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sling on gun or not?

Started by DirtNap647, February 26, 2022, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wigsplitter

I use claw slings on my turkey guns and don't take them off when I sit down however I do put it directly under the forearm and in my hand then hand on knee or rest the sling on my knee— I could see if you left it dangling in the loop position it might cause a little movement or hang something if you needed to move or turn

Bob G.

I have Slogan Outdoors rubber slings on almost all rifles and shotguns including my crossbow.

wvmntnhick

Never take mine off. Haven't seen the need. As for brand, it's generally something cheap. Butler creek most times. I've got a couple leather ones that get traded back and forth between rifles and a couple neoprene that go back and forth on my shotguns. I won't leave the house without a sling on the gun. And, as often as I catch grief for leaving them on the guns while hunting both deer and turkeys, I've yet to see where it's been a hindrance. Lucky? Perhaps. I'll worry about such things when it becomes an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler428

I use Paracord slings on all my turkey guns and never take them off. I will often use the sling to put my elbow in to help steady the gun for the shot and make sure the sling does not move.

eddie234

Use the claw sling, always leave it attached. Never had an issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Master Gobbie

Quote from: Tom007 on February 26, 2022, 06:21:58 PM
I want to let all my forum friends know about something regarding carrying shotguns on your shoulder. With the advent of short barrels, all the way down to 18.5, please realize that when you use a sling, if you do not pay attention to the angle of your gun, the barrel can point dangerously toward your head. I know it sounds strange, but trust me, I've seen it. Just something to be mindful of. I sure want all of us to be safe, return home to our loved ones with a nice gobbler......be safe...

I've noticed this too! I sling my guns (18.5" and 20") upside down, so that the butt is in the air, this way I can keep my right hand on the barrel and know where it's pointing at all times.

Safest way to go if I'm in the rear and my buddy is on point. If we strike up a bird, naturally I'll crouch as I come up to him and make our plan.
Proverbs  3: 5-6

paboxcall

Quote from: Chris O on February 26, 2022, 12:16:53 PM
I use an old leather sling with quick detachment on Remington 870 and unhook the front by the forearm while set up then attach again when I move setups. I learned this from a early turkey hunting video and I think it was Denny Gulvas . It's a perfect setup for me

What I do with either a neoprene or Claw sling. If there's time, I unhook at the front. Been doing it for years, so probably picked it up off a Gulvas video as well lol.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Gooserbat

Always.  I don't understand why people unhook it but to each their own.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

30_06

I have one on every turkey gun I have, usually take it off when sitting if I have the time. Quite frankly, I still haven't found one I'm perfectly satisfied with.

Esse quam videri

Gobble!

Wouldn't turkey hunt without a sling. Add quick release ends to my claw sling so the forearm comes off when I sit down.

born2hunt

I just use a cheap Allen. I never understood why folks unhooked them until two seasons ago. Set up tight on a bird and he pitched all the way to me, landed 10 yds to my left. I let him walk behind a big pine and swung my gun to him, half way through the swing my sling hung on my knee almost costing the shot. Luckily it didn't but I am more mindful of that sling now !

Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Lucky Goose

A sling is a must for me and I've had a lot of them.  The claw slimline is far and away my favorite.

lunghit

Claw sling and never remove it. Never a problem and never knew so many had issues with them lol.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Dtrkyman

I don't like those shorty barrel guns!  Still not used to a 23", no way I want anything shorter!

I often carry mine barrel pointed straight forward and rest my arm on it to keep it in place, sling is always on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk