OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sling on gun or not?

Started by DirtNap647, February 26, 2022, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

claw sling is my preference but they are stiff and thick it swings when i setup and if i squeeze it with my forearm of my gun it makes that awkward. thought i was the only one annoyed with a sling when setup on a gobbler, but after  watching some turkey hunts i see i am not alone. curious to whats your preference...do you not use a sling, unhook it to shoot, or let it on?

Greg Massey

I use claw sling's mostly in the wide and slimline, i usually take my sling off during setting up if the time allows...

hoythunter

You may like the limbsaver kodiak air sling. It's thinner
and less bulky thean the claw. I use both and also remove during setup.

the Ward

I pull mine off when i set up. If i get up and need to move a short distance i just leave it in my vest. I put it back on for the walk out, or if i'm walking some distance to another location. I love the Quake sling, but also love the boonie packer safari sling. It gives you the option to carry in front of your chest, and drops away when you mount the gun. It's nice and wide, easily adjustable, and has rubber non-slip woven into sling. Really spreads out weight and stays put.The front carry option probably isn't that useful for turkey, but i like it when waterfowl hunting standing in water in waders keeps the gun in a accessible spot and dry.

Hwd silvestris

If I have time I prefer to take my sling completely off.  Sometimes I will leave it on the butt stock and just take it off the magazine tube.   I have killed turkeys both ways tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Not even sure what brand my slings are.  Probably Allen or something equally as cheap.  I wouldn't have a dedicated gun without a sling.  I leave it hooked up and as-is all day long in any situation.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Hobbes

I hate to carry my shotgun without it while turkey hunting.  I leave it attached and it's never really been a problem for me.

WV Flopper

Sling

Take off at set up, have for 30 years.

RiverBuck

Mine comes off.
I use the claw walking in, moving, and back to the truck... I have killed turkey w it on but I don't pattern my gun with it on and see no reason to have a sling dangling while a bird is approaching. Besides the fact my shotgun shoulders and feels better w it off.

spiggy2

I either take mine off or tighten it all the way down. I have a pistol grip on my gun so it stays outta the way.

"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Meleagris gallopavo

I use the Claw sling on all my shotguns I have slings on.  I never take them off.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Chris O

I use an old leather sling with quick detachment on Remington 870 and unhook the front by the forearm while set up then attach again when I move setups. I learned this from a early turkey hunting video and I think it was Denny Gulvas . It's a perfect setup for me

rakkin6

Have the claw on both my guns and never take them off. Personally I have never had any problems with them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Master Gobbie

Claw, never have removed it, I cinch it up tight when setting up, never had any problems (knock on wood)
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Dtrkyman

Always on and never mess with it, I use it for padding while it lays on my knee.

I have never had a situation where the sling was a problem!  Never even thought about it until I saw videos where guys were removing it.

You know Dave does it so it must be necessary.