turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A journey to waterproof pots

Started by PEte_A, February 23, 2022, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEte_A

I have recently been making a move to waterproof pots. I will likely be hunting only waterproof calls this year. I've had quite a few wood pots, and still do have some but less than I did a couple years ago.

I've been heading this direction for a couple reasons. Firstly, I live in an area where rain is fairly common and I hunt rain or shine. I don't like having to worry about warping a beautiful wood call by getting it soaked. Secondly, like many here, I've had a couple pots warp and crack playing surfaces over the years, even without getting them wet. For me, this is less about having a pot that can play wet (although a couple of the ones mentioned below do very well), and more about having pots that sound amazing and can be hunted hard without worrying about the effects of moisture on the structural integrity of wood.

So.... I've been searching for waterproof pots with the sounds that I like for hunting. So far, the 3 that I've landed on are a Lonzo acrylic anodized aluminum over aluminum, a Dawkins plastic stoned aluminum over slate and a Buster clear acrylic glass over slate. Of the 2 aluminums I would say the lonzo has a bit more of a realistic sound, with a better front end. Having said that, the Dawkins sounds great and has been a great producer for me.... The birds love the Dawkins and that's the real test! The Dawkins also sounds great with a good carbon fibre striker in the rain! As for the Buster clear acrylic glass, this thing is a total game changer for me. It sounds fantastic.. front end, back end, tone and playability all very strong. Pics of these three calls are in the link below.

I'm working on adding a waterproof slate to the mix shortly...  :) :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/63rpbboEBEBE2fpB7

Tom007

There's a real nice Weatherproof pot call 2 sider from Mark Cunningham on our classifieds right now. Comes with a JLH striker...Nice call....
"Solo hunter"

PEte_A

I saw that one  :) . I'm good on the glass front or I'd have been thinking about grabbing it!

BTH

Sold my Dawkins stoned alum over slate that was a proven killer .....such an idiot!

HAD the Lonzo stoned alum in blk acrylic and Enticer silver thunder extreme. Liked my Dawkins the best out of all 3.
Would love to try one of Busters calls.
Love the idea of all weather pots.
Phil 4:13

PEte_A

Quote from: BTH on February 23, 2022, 04:54:52 PM
Sold my Dawkins stone alum over slate that was a proven killer .....such an idiot!

Had the Lonzo stoned alum in blk acrylic. Liked my Dawkins better.
Would love to try one of Busters calls.
Love the idea of all weather pots.

Tbh - I personally like the anodized aluminum over the stoned in Lonzo's acrylic, sounds better to my ear.

BTH

Hmmm might have to keep my eyes open for one of those then ????
Phil 4:13

CntrlPAlongbeard

Enticer calls wet one
Al Holbert
His wet calls are awesome
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

owego

Wet Wonder Series will never let you down any time rain or shine---Guaranteed for life.    http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/wet-wonder/

Footballer

I could not agree more with you. The weather we've had the past few years has led me down this same path. I'm now making calls out of composite wood which makes them weatherproof. I currently have glass, ceramic and anodized aluminum. I should have a crystal soon. All but the aluminum come with a waterproof striker.

Enticer, Buster, Dawkins, Lonzo and Scooter Pegg also make great calls in waterproof pots. Lots a great options out there for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PEte_A

Good looking pots Al and Mark! It sure is nice to see more and more options for weather proof pots  :)

Terry

I went on the same journey and finally found one that's perfect for me. Mark Cunningham's(Footballer) ceramic. Killer call!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrinny

I have a silver thunder extreme from Enticer that is great waterproof call. Also - Dustin Jones makes some good ones. I have a glass over slate in a plastic pot that I really like.

bobk

Have a glass over slate in a acrylic pot made by Buster Halford that's likely the best sounding glass pot that I ever hear or ran, both wet or dry.

PEte_A

Quote from: bobk on February 24, 2022, 03:33:51 PM
Have a glass over slate in a acrylic pot made by Buster Halford that's likely the best sounding glass pot that I ever hear or ran, both wet or dry.

Couldn't agree more. This is the same call I mentioned in the first post. 100% game changer for me. It sounds as good or better than any glass call I've ever run. For me, it's one of those calls that I've been searching a long time for. As I told Buster when I got it, it's going in my vest and not coming out and I now have no need to ever look for another glass call.

Happy

I am pretty much the same way. I will occasionally take wood pots out when I am certain of good weather. My daily choices are the Loftis crystal screamer, the perfection Screamin Demon,a Lon Trice and an Glass call by Enticer calls. All sound good and are perfectly capable of doing what I need.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club