OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stabilizing

Started by M,Yingling, February 18, 2022, 08:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M,Yingling

One of main reasons I like dye and stabilize wood is it always helps bring and highlight the figure in woods. Plus u get the added strength of the resin and being bit more weather resistant.    Makes good sounding call The pics are of ash wood normally I flame it and these boards just wasn't getting figure to come out so I dropped them
In some resin and dye and man the figure realy popped.      The white board is normally what would look like.  And then flamed it. And the finished calls are from same board as other pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mastevt

I agree Mike.  Stabilizing and dying really makes a nice call, and can really make the Grain pop.  It can get very fun and addictive too.  This Tiger Maple wasn't much in natural color, but it sure popped when I stabilized it.
Good looking pots by the way!  I've made alot of pots out of Ash, and it makes great calls.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

M,Yingling

Quote from: mastevt on February 18, 2022, 08:23:43 PM
I agree Mike.  Stabilizing and dying really makes a nice call, and can really make the Grain pop.  It can get very fun and addictive too.  This Tiger Maple wasn't much in natural color, but it sure popped when I stabilized it.
Good looking pots by the way!  I've made alot of pots out of Ash, and it makes great calls.

Thanks    yes sometimes is a surprise how they come out ,,, think the worst part of it all is drying the wood LOL     ,,,,Nice maple
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
My YouTube

ChesterCopperpot

Those are flat gorgeous, Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

That stabilizing and dying seems to be an art in itself. Really beautiful.

ferocious calls

vthokie7227

Great looking calls! I've been taking a torch to many of my striker tops to help dull their color. The white unfinished tops always make me feel like I'm waving a little white flag around.

Hoot 000

Both of you do pretty work.

Gawhitaker

That stabilizing and dying seems to be an art in itself. Really beautiful. X2
Sure makes for some Gorgeous, Great sounding calls

HillclimberWV

If you don't mind me asking what kind of resin are you using to do this?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mastevt

Quote from: HillclimberWV on February 23, 2022, 07:49:49 AM
If you don't mind me asking what kind of resin are you using to do this?
I don't know what Mike uses, but I use a product called Cactus Juice.  It runs about $90 a gallon.  There's other resins out there in the market, but from what I've researched, this is the best.  And Curtis, the guy who sells it, has fantastic service.  Then there is the dye to color the juice.  It runs about $28 for 6 Oz.  Vacume chambers aren't cheap either, couple hundred bucks each.  Vac pumps, another $150.  Oven to dry the wood.  It's not a cheap thing to get into, but makes a quality product when done.

HillclimberWV

Yeah the more i looked into the less i could justify it at this time. Ive been playing with making my own calls but dont have any intentions of selling them. Mostly just a hobby for winter months and gifts for family and friends. Thanks mastev
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

M,Yingling

yes iam pretty much down same path as mastevt on the resin and every thing takes time
My YouTube