turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Predator trapping tips

Started by ClayR089, February 15, 2022, 09:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClayR089

Never done any trapping, but thinking of ordering a few DB traps to put around a feeder at our property. What else would be needed? How do you dispose of raccoon, just a 22? Where is the best place to set traps? Anything I may not consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Late winter is the mating season for raccoons. The big males will be on the prowl especially on warmer nights in the north where winter has a serious bite. Good chance you won't find these coons hitting a feed bucket consistently.
Look for the travel corridors like creek beds and river bottoms. You never know where these big boars will show up.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

ferocious calls

Some very strong call lure will make them travel to your sets. Carmen's canine call is very effective this time of year. Pm for phone number and more. Been putting up fur for 49 seasons. Kudos for wanting to start.

Cat Trapper

You are on the right track targeting coons with dp's around feeders. Marshmallows work good for bait although I have heard where coons are used to eating corn sometimes there will be a few that won't fall for the marshmallows and you have to put corn in the trap. Get you some #3 traps and catch some bobcats too. Cats are very efficient turkey killers.

btomlin

I always trap the trails leading to the feeders instead of right at the feeder itself.   Sort of a little snack stop on the way to the feeder.  Put that DP right in the middle of the trail so they have basically go over it.

AndyN

Another option is to remove that easy food source for nest predators. And by doing so you also get rid of an area that turkeys congregate that larger predators are well aware of. No more risk of aflatoxin exposure either.

Turkeyfever

Mini Marshmallows! Racoons can't resist them and there not messy or a hassle at all to fool with. Just put some on the ground in front of the trap and in the trap itself.

Chris O

Quote from: ClayR089 on February 15, 2022, 09:53:23 PM
Never done any trapping, but thinking of ordering a few DB traps to put around a feeder at our property. What else would be needed? How do you dispose of raccoon, just a 22? Where is the best place to set traps? Anything I may not consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
many baits and lures can be used in your dp's. I will recommend a good staking system. I prefer cable stakes but if you are only wanting to run a few traps I would get some 24 to 30"washer top stakes depending on your soil condition. Avoid the T- bar stakes if you can many times the spring on trap will get caught on the T and then your trap won't swivel and you will lose some catches. 22 is what I use for dispatch and you will catch some skunks and possums also.