OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

PG! Which ONE?

Started by Wingmaster, February 13, 2011, 04:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingmaster

All right fellas.  After much help from this forum I have decided to get a PG Tempest.  I'm shooting a Beretta 390 with 26" barrell.
I will try the Fed HW #7, Nitro #7, and H-13 #7.
My question is DO I WANT THE PG .570 or .555?
Will the Nitros still pattern well with the TEMPEST?
Thanks for the help

sugarray

I have to say it really depends on how tight of patterns you want.  The .570 will give more open, more room for error in closer patterns.  The .555 will give tighter patterns, more in the 10" at 40, but less room for error in close.  If the gun is for an adult then I would say go with the .555.  If it is for a youngster, go with the .570.

Really, get the one you want and shoot it.  If it more open or tighter than you want, send it back for the other one.  That is the beauty of PG.

msgobblergetter

Get the .570.  I've done a lot of testing with both and hevi 7's and ended up with the .570 myself.  The .555 was less consistent for me.  Tighter? Yes, but from shot to shot the .570 gave a more even pattern every shot and plenty tight for 40 yards and then some.

VAlongbeard84

With the 26" barrel, I would opt for the .570 and not look back. I have a 11-87 20 gauge with a 26" pipe too, and I shot the hevi-13 7's with this gun, and the .555 had blown patterns, and the .570 looked much more even. It actually had more in the 10" at 40 yards also, I got 180 hits in the 10" with the .570 PG Ported Tube on that. I have a .570 PG tempest to run with the federal hw 7's soon, just waiting on a few parts to get back from tarjac and the weather to warm up some. Go .570 IMO.

shootumindaface

Im thinking the 570 Tempest is gonna be a killer with all three loads.. Nitros will pattern through a piece of copper pipe.. The hevi 7s have a preference for the regular PG 570 and the Tempest is designed for the Feds.. Could be the best starting point for a choke for those three loads..

I am going to buy both Tempests at the convention..

fountain

Is pg gonna be in Nashville?   I plan t get some chokes, but didn't get a response via pm.

Tranz

Here is a pattern from my 3901 with a 570 choke...hope it helps you decide which choke you want. Inner circle is 20".

hookedspur

Quote from: sugarray on February 13, 2011, 04:22:52 PM
I have to say it really depends on how tight of patterns you want.  The .570 will give more open, more room for error in closer patterns.  The .555 will give tighter patterns, more in the 10" at 40, but less room for error in close.  If the gun is for an adult then I would say go with the .555.  If it is for a youngster, go with the .570.

Really, get the one you want and shoot it.  If it more open or tighter than you want, send it back for the other one.  That is the beauty of PG.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions