turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2 wood limit

Started by packmule, February 09, 2022, 01:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Looks like walnut has the most votes. I guess I'm not surprised, it's very versatile.....
I was pleasantly surprised by all the votes for cedar.
The first posts that had osage and mahogany as choices made me think hard about my initial choices, those are both fine woods for turkey calls.

Yoder409

Quote from: packmule on February 13, 2022, 12:00:33 AM
Looks like walnut has the most votes. I guess I'm not surprised, it's very versatile.....
The first posts that had osage and mahogany as choices made me think hard about my initial choices, those are both fine woods for turkey calls.

I think your two choices are totally solid.

No secret, I'm a box call guy.  If it were just box calls in question, I just might pick the same two as you.

IMO, walnut ALONE does EVERYTHING needed for boxes, scratchers, pots and trumpets............except the striker for a scratcher.  That's where I feel cedar out does poplar.  Just my opinion. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

gergg

Quote from: packmule on February 13, 2022, 12:00:33 AM
I really thought about cedar as it is a great wood for scratchers & boxes.....2 wood choices are not enough, thankfully I don't have to adhere to my choices here :)
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Yoder409

Quote from: gergg on February 13, 2022, 06:24:56 AM.....2 wood choices are not enough, thankfully I don't have to adhere to my choices here :)

Ain't THAT the truth ????    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

packmule

Scpossum

I do mostly air operated so Bocote and genuine Lignum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aclawrence

I read this yesterday and have been thinking about it. It's a fun question. My original thought before I read through anything was Walnut and Poplar just like the OP. I thought it was cool to see cedar mentioned a lot and I am surprised not many or anyone has said purpleheart. You see purpleheart in a lot of calls. I also like Osage a lot so that one is a contender for one of the top two spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Impossible for me to pick. I have certain woods for certain type of calls.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE