OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looks vs sound

Started by packmule, February 09, 2022, 09:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

The box call section is slllooooowwwww right now, here's a topic to get it going again.  A friend and I recently discussed this.

How important is the look of a call to you vs the sound quality?  I think that most of us have more than enough calls, so the ones that actually make it into the vest probably have to sound good, but do they also have to look good? If the very best call that you have is "homely" will that have any effect on the number of days that you take it hunting?

Please provide a breakdown (in %) of how the following attributes contribute to how often a call is in your vest:

1. Sound quality
2. Call appearance (design, wood color, etc.)
3. Other factors (sentimental value, etc.)

For me it's probably something like:

Sound = 50%
Call appearance = 30%
Other factors = 20%

The one caveat being that the call has to sound reasonably good to at least be in consideration.

AppalachianHollers

Maybe one day I'll get bored enough of killing turkeys to care about anything other than "it works." Not there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

1 - 70 %
2 - 15 %
3 - 15 %

I will take a ugly woman/call over pretty woman/call any day , most ugly women/calls are usually better cooks and you don't have to worry about anyone messing with your girl :TooFunny: ... 

packmule

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 09, 2022, 10:17:25 AM
1 - 70 %
2 - 15 %
3 - 15 %

I will take a ugly woman/call over pretty woman/call any day , most ugly women/calls are usually better cooks and you don't have to worry about anyone messing with your girl :TooFunny: ...

:TooFunny:

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ChesterCopperpot

I'm probably 70-75 sound, 25-30 sentiment or story. Looks don't really play a factor because I don't buy ugly calls to begin with. Everything in my collection is sexy as hell

ol bob

1. !00%   2. 0%  3. 0%  If I carry it all that matters is does it help to kill turkeys                                                                                                                                                         

EZ

Quote from: ol bob on February 09, 2022, 11:55:34 AM
1. !00%   2. 0%  3. 0%  If I carry it all that matters is does it help to kill turkeys                                                                                                                                                     

I'm right there with ol bob.

I might go 5% on sentimental. 0% on looks (although most folks do like a nice looking call)

tal

I admire and can appreciate the call makers craft but tone turns my head. I have some calls from makers that I won't use much but would never get rid of because of who made them.
1. 90%
2. 0%
3. 10%

bobk

1.100%
2. 0%
3. 0%
It's  all about performance in the woods.

Bowguy

I couldn't break it up that way. It's gotta sound perhaps different toned than others but perfect if that makes sense. That's gotta be 100%. If anything less why carry it. It's gotta be put together well, fit and finish MUST be professional. That's gotta be 100%. I'd never carry anything less. Not referring to scratches and scars but workmanship. The type of wood is a def passing thing. I'd carry a great sounding, well put together call any day over a real pretty sub par one. Sentimental always holds weight.

paboxcall

To the OP:

1. Sound quality: 99.9%
2. Call appearance: 0.05%
3. Other factors: 0.05%

I see bow guy's point, but I think craftsmanship isn't so much in the "call appearance" bucket, as it is in "sound quality." If its not built well, it won't sound well.

Appearance is simple aesthetics. Could care less if it looks good, it just has to sound good to my ear. If it looks nice, well that's just a plus. I carry a Quaker Boy aluminum in a black plastic pot I found for $5 on a clearance table. Ain't much too look at, but jeez did Mr. Kirby get that one right.

Sentimental - that is important to me individually. I carry calls because of who made them, but they also hit the mark for sound quality.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

sbbow

It should be all about sound but I think some people have to have looks an they lose out jmo.

Yoder409

For a box that I'm strictly using as the best tool I have to call a bird to gun, my breakdown would unequivocally be :

1. Sound quality 100%
2. Nothing else matters
3. Nothing else matters.

That being said..........there are days I'll hunt a call that has some sentimentality and maybe takes a hit in sound quality. 

I have some homely calls that are screamers.  I have some pretty calls that are firewood. 

My current go-to boxes (except for one homely one that's been responsible for more gobblers' deaths than all the others combined) CHECK all the boxes, though.........Sound, appearance and sentimentality.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Great post, BTW, bud !!!!

:icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.