turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

gobblin thunder .660 for mossberg 935

Started by bowhunter32, February 13, 2011, 03:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter32

anybody use this combo? what if any advantages over ssx .670... :smiley-char092:

CASH

A .660 is probably going to be way to tight for a 935. That barrel is back bored.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

mossy835

Yes on the too tight, barrel is over bored and all of the info I could find for my 835 (same barrel as yours) was not that tight. Check with the company that makes the choke and Mossberg to see the safest restrictions for that gun.

Mike

Skeeterbait

Yeah Kicks considers a .660 in an 835/935 to be a card shooter, meaning low brass #8 or smaller.  With that said I did try patterning some #6 3.5" 2oz turkey shells through mine and it prooved too tight.  The pattern had a noticible drop in core pattern pellets compared to the same choke in .670.

bowhunter32

Skeeterbait

CASH

Quote from: bowhunter32 on February 15, 2011, 06:24:24 PM
you guys are the berries!

I've been called a lot of things, but never a berry.   :begging:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

ILIKEHEVI-13

In a .775 backbore barrel, there is no need to go any tighter than a .670 for turkey hunting.  .675 as stated above will tend to yield the best overall patterns and possibly a .680 in some barrels.

knightrider

SR1

I tried a .675 years ago and was blowing my patterns. I have finally settled on a .690 Jellyhead. Remember sometimes you can be to tight and that can have the opposite effect of what you want. :begging:
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

joshua

.670 Puregold in an 835 with Hevi 6's or 7's is hard to beat for killin turkeys.  Should do good in a 935.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

mossy835

My choke of choice for my Mossberg 835 is a Carlson .690 for H13 all loads and also for dead coyote loads. Did the job this last year.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SR1 on February 16, 2011, 12:02:00 AM
I tried a .675 years ago and was blowing my patterns. I have finally settled on a .690 Jellyhead. Remember sometimes you can be to tight and that can have the opposite effect of what you want. :begging:

That is true.  I have shot the Jelly Head .690 choke in my 835 and it did pretty good.  Nice even pattern.  But it won't touch the Star Dot choke I have that is .676.  I'm going to test a .675 Indian Creek hopefully this week.  I hope it shoots as good as I think it will.  A Pure Gold .670 more than likely will top the Jelly Head choke in the 835.  But you can have the right constriction and the wrong choke and you will see the blown pattern effect happen and be misled.  I have seen that happen with a .675 Carlson's choke.  Right constriction in my opinion but wrong choke internals that just don't perform well with Hevi-13 loads.  I'm not a big fan of Carlson's chokes.  But they do work very well with lead in certain constrictions.

paturkeyhntr

I also patterned a Kicks .660 in my 835 and got the same results already mentioned....pattern was just wide open.  I use a Jellyhead in mine and got really good patterns.