only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pattern Improvement Recommendations

Started by Poppahunts, January 26, 2022, 05:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 12, 2022, 02:03:28 PM
Quote from: SumToy on January 27, 2022, 08:31:57 AM
What choke you have now?   What shell you have?  How have you cleaned the gun?  Most guns just need a good shell and choke.   Very few need alot of money spent on them.   Most time it is just to make someone money  :z-twocents:

Not trying to high jack the post, but about cleaning do you recommend cleaning between each and every shot on the range, or just running a snake between shots, or just cleaning every three to four shots, etc? What has worked best for your shop as far as cleaning in trying to get a gun to shoot?

Second question - Beyond how often to clean, what do you find is the best product to clean a gun with between shot/shots?

Final question - And does the barrel need to be perfectly dry (any residue - oil, etc.) or just clean in your experience to throw its best pattern?

We clean it good with denatured alcohol to get all the oil and crud out to start.

Then we just run a brush down it after every shot if you testing that way you keep everything the same.   

Then it is more of what the gun likes as to when you clean but If you make it shoot clean you can keep it clean.   You know hoe clean is but not how dirty to dirty is. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

dzsmith

You'll be cleaning a lot with a non chrome lined barrel like the OPs 870. Denatured alcohol is your friend like William said. You can buy it by the gallon at a hardware store , and it's much more economical than a solvent . Personally I shoot 3 times between cleanings. That's just what I do. Second shot is always the best pattern typically . Don't know why , but that's my 870. I do still use solvent on final cleanings . But I always follow up with alcohol to cut out any remaining oils from the solvent .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Jstocks

If I got to baby one this much....especially a 20 gauge....I would not keep it.