turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pattern Improvement Recommendations

Started by Poppahunts, January 26, 2022, 05:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppahunts

Looking for a gunsmith who specializes in turkey gun pattern improvements.
I am in need of having work done on my 20ga 870. 
Please share any recommendations and why use them .
Thanks in advance, Andre'. 
Turkeys For Tomorrow Member
Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
Life is hard, twice as hard if your stupid
               - John Wayne

crow

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

rakkin6

I agree William at Sumtoy. But you could try polishing your barrel this may be just what you need. It's not to hard, there is a thread on here Amon how to do it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

twyatt

What are you shooting now and what sort of improvement are you looking for.   I have 2 870 20's and have shot TSS 9's in both guns with a .555, .565, .570, .575, and now .585, from cheap chokes to high end chokes.  All of them performed great, just depends on how tight of a pattern you want at 20 and 40.  I settled on the TruLock .585.   Little more forgiving at 20, and definitely still really good at 40.  Apex 9's, Federal 9's, and the Rob Roberts Custom Shop 9's, all were great.
  My guns however did not like anything non-tss.  Longbeards were HORRIBLE, 5's and 6's. 

SumToy

What choke you have now?   What shell you have?  How have you cleaned the gun?  Most guns just need a good shell and choke.   Very few need alot of money spent on them.   Most time it is just to make someone money  :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Yoder409

^^^^^

This guy right here !!!

He's turned a couple of my 20's into pure POISON.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Poppahunts

Quote from: SumToy on January 27, 2022, 08:31:57 AM
What choke you have now?   What shell you have?  How have you cleaned the gun?  Most guns just need a good shell and choke.   Very few need alot of money spent on them.   Most time it is just to make someone money  :z-twocents:

Good morning and thanks for the reply...
In regards to the chokes I have shot:  yours in .562, Carlsons, Truglo, Hevishot  and a few others all in different constrictions,  working  opening up to .585.
Currently shooting the Rem. factory choke full as it is throwing the best  pattern, but still not where I would like it I still got  too many holes or gaps in the pattern in my opinion .

Shells, I have shot everything from Fed TSS #9 , FED HW, Apex and quite a few others ...
Pretty much get the same results , not an even pattern in terms of density .

In terms of cleaning,  I have polished the bore twice . Did it to letter as per the link or pin on the forum.

At this point not sure what else to do other than get it to a G-smith that can identify the issue what ever it maybe , lengthen forcing cone, match a custom choke to shells/ barrel  or simply tell me the current barrel ain't  gonna cut it... 

I would much rather figure a less expensive route but this one has be stumped
Again any advise is appreciated...

Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
               - John Wayne

rakkin6

Well like everyone else has said.  William at Sumtoy give him a holler.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Poppahunts

Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
               - John Wayne

twyatt

Do you have any pictures of your patterns at 40 yards?  Are you shooting at a LARGE target face so that you can see the full pattern?   I've always propped up a full size 4x4 pallet at 40 yards, and covered it with poster board so that I could see the entire pattern, determine which was best, and to make any POI changes with my red dot.   I can't believe that Apex and none of those chokes are giving you a good pattern.
I will tell you, my pellet count went down when I polished my barrel on one of my 870 20's, I wish I hadn't done it.
The Primos Tightwad (.570), Remington Super Full (.572 I think), Indian Creek 570, Carlson .575, and TruLock .585 all throw awesome Apex patterns out of both of my 870's.
I think I have another Remington Super Full that you can try if you want, it's brand new in the package.  I'd like to see your current patterns though, and make sure you're getting the entire pattern on paper, regardless where it is on the paper.  You can always adjust it with optics to get it centered, but you need to be able to see the WHOLE pattern first.

Old Gobbler

The choke is the most critical improvement to put on any turkey gun ...besides the ammo itself

Sumtoy makes some of the most high performance chokes money can buy 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

vt35mag

Quote from: twyatt on January 28, 2022, 08:02:52 PM
Do you have any pictures of your patterns at 40 yards?  Are you shooting at a LARGE target face so that you can see the full pattern?   I've always propped up a full size 4x4 pallet at 40 yards, and covered it with poster board so that I could see the entire pattern, determine which was best, and to make any POI changes with my red dot.   I can't believe that Apex and none of those chokes are giving you a good pattern.
I will tell you, my pellet count went down when I polished my barrel on one of my 870 20's, I wish I hadn't done it.
The Primos Tightwad (.570), Remington Super Full (.572 I think), Indian Creek 570, Carlson .575, and TruLock .585 all throw awesome Apex patterns out of both of my 870's.
I think I have another Remington Super Full that you can try if you want, it's brand new in the package.  I'd like to see your current patterns though, and make sure you're getting the entire pattern on paper, regardless where it is on the paper.  You can always adjust it with optics to get it centered, but you need to be able to see the WHOLE pattern first.
X2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Poppahunts

Thanks guys I've been going over all with William @ Sumtoy
Appreciate all the advice ...
Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
               - John Wayne

mountainhunter1

Quote from: SumToy on January 27, 2022, 08:31:57 AM

Not trying to high jack the post, but about cleaning do you recommend cleaning between each and every shot on the range, or just running a snake between shots, or just cleaning every three to four shots, etc? What has worked best for your shop as far as cleaning in trying to get a gun to shoot?

Second question - Beyond how often to clean, what do you find is the best product to clean a gun with between shot/shots?

Final question - And does the barrel need to be perfectly dry (any residue - oil, etc.) or just clean in your experience to throw its best pattern?
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13