OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alabama Question?

Started by Neill_Prater, January 19, 2022, 06:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

Okay, I'm confused. That's nothing new, but since it involves turkey hunting,  I want to make sure I got it right.

I got that the season, for most of the state, opens the 25th of March. Apparently WMA's and all National Forest land will not open until April 1st, or later.

Now for the confused part. When all these changes were in the works last fall, I read that the limit would be one bird only the first ten days of the season. I assumed that, similar to our regulations in Missouri limiting the harvest to one bird the first week, that would apply statewide.

Now, after reading the regulations via the internet, to me, it really doesn't say that, but rather that the one bird limit is only on WMA's, CHA's and National Forest land. Is that the case, or is it just a matter of omission in the wording? Thanks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Neil, that's the way I've had it explained to me.   One gobbler the first 10 days from any WMA, no more than 2 from any one WMA in a season.  Private land is business as usual except the reduction from 5 gobblers to 4.   Also no decoys the first 10 days of the season anywhere.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Neill_Prater

Ronnie, thanks. That's going to help me out, because I can go down earlier, but, damn that totally sucks for the residents who only have access to public hunting areas. Would not make me happy if I was one of them.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Neill_Prater on January 19, 2022, 07:21:21 PM
Ronnie, thanks. That's going to help me out, because I can go down earlier, but, damn that totally sucks for the residents who only have access to public hunting areas. Would not make me happy if I was one of them.

Yeah, just another step towards turning turkey hunting into a rich man's game. Folks who have private land next to and even within a WMA/National Forest can hunt a week before the public can. Regs like this increase the demand for private access and ultimately can very well drive up lease prices and "turkey rights" prices.

If Alabama DNR thought it'd really help with turkey populations, they should have did it statewide. The vast majority of turkey reside on private land anyway.

silvestris

There is a bright side to one change, with no decoys the first ten days some folks may begin to learn how to actually hunt turkeys.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gooserbat

Quote from: silvestris on January 20, 2022, 12:04:03 AM
There is a bright side to one change, with no decoys the first ten days some folks may begin to learn how to actually hunt turkeys.

Yeah and if the powers that be would just ban TSS, extended choke tubes, and turkey chairs it would be business as 1980.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hobbes

I won't have a chance to hunt Bama anytime soon but I can't imagine anyone complaining if Alabama turkey hunting could resemble the 90s, maybe even the 80s.  Holy heck I heard a lot of gobbling turkeys in northern Alabama in 93 or 94.  It's too bad that I was so damn new to turkey hunting then.  Decoys weren't legal at all at that time if I recall correctly.  We didn't even know what hevishot was and sure as heck hadn't heard of TSS, but yeah I'd gladly revisit those days. :)

Ihuntoldschool

X2.  Also many of those that rely so heavily on their visual aids to fool birds may skip the first 10 days.  This may be a good thing for the turkey hunters that still play the game by the rules. 

Hobbes

It's a neverending loop.  I don't hunt with them either but get off the soap box.