turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for 1st Trumpet.....Who?

Started by RED NECK, January 16, 2022, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I have been interested in starting on a trumpet for a few years and I have decided that now is the time to find a custom one,I am not looking for a show piece, I want something that I can use and hunt with. I have lots of years experience using mouthcalls and I have never even tried a trumpet but I want to learn.

I can't seem to locate any Canadian custom trumpet builders so my search will begin here. I do have a budget in mind that I want to spend on one but I also want something that is going to last. The few places I seen online had some decent prices but then excuses on why they won't ship to Canada. I am not cheap,I'll pay my way and shipping costs.

If some of you custom trumpet builders have a call you are interested in selling,Please feel free to send me a private message.Thanks
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

USMC0331

Mr. Lewis Stowe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Chris O

If you have been wanting to try a trumpet for a few years you probably have a few guys in mind already. Let us know who you might be thinking about? Lots of good trumpets being made at reasonable prices. I will add Ernie Fetters and Daryl Slaton to the list. There are plenty of others also. There was a Clay Townsend that sold not too long ago that would have been a good one to pick up. Have fun deciding and you probably won't stop at one. I recommend getting One and only playing that particular call for a full year before you start adding calls to your arsenal. I learned this the hard way!!!!

RED NECK

I actually have no idea about, who builds these calls, other than a few names I have read today. I try and say this without being direspectful because that's not my intent, but I am sure that whoever I buy from it will be a solid call. I am sure that there are tons of excellent call builders.

I use three guys that I have bought custom pot and box calls from over the years, two in Canada and Spring Creek Calls from Michigan?

I am looking to buy one call, and I already know that I want to buy more. I also know that I am going to practice and hunt with this one for a year. I have a  custom wingbone on the way as well. Thanks for the names so far, and the emails. Lots of beautiful calls to decide on.

Terry

I always recommend Brian Mero. Good combination of playability, availability, and price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loyalist84

I'll second Brian Mero. He had no problem shipping to me in Canada and had a great shipping price on it too.

RED NECK

Does Brian Mero have a webpage, or a shop that I can get in touch with him?...Thanks.

Terry

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 16, 2022, 05:23:12 PM
Does Brian Mero have a webpage, or a shop that I can get in touch with him?...Thanks.
I'd PM him on this forum

I believe his screen name is merocustomcalls

RED NECK

Quote from: Terry on January 16, 2022, 05:31:09 PM
Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 16, 2022, 05:23:12 PM
I'd PM him on this forum

I believe his screen name is merocustomcalls

Thank you. I found him.

ChesterCopperpot

There are some killers on eBay right now including a Slaton, a Lewis Stowe, a Billy Buice, and a Kenny Pedelahore. Could message sellers and see if shipping is an issue. None of those listings say specifically that they don't. The KP and the Buice are calls that don't come up often secondhand and are well worth the current prices.

outdoors

have a bunch of suggestions if you're a member of facebook start there first
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

crow

You wouldn't be disappointed with a Brian Mero trumpet.

Charlie Trotter makes a great sounding Trumpet that draws air really nice and the craftsmanship is top of the line.

RED NECK

I want to say Thank you for all the info,I have been speaking with Brian and will be picking one of his calls this week, I also have a lead on a call maker that is close by, and I never heard of,I am not a Facebook person,I assume that is why and I have sent him a message.

It should be a fun journey the next few months.

wchadw

Look on YouTube. There are several how to run a trumpet videos
Del crow, Ralph Permar,
misfire ,Ted peters are good ones