OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12 ga 870 question

Started by NorthGaHunter, June 03, 2011, 10:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Your right I got worked up.  I deleted all of them.  A 3" gun works fine.  I sure like my 870. 

SumToy

Read the post. It not say 3 inch out shoot 31/2.  We say the 3 inch shell shot in 3 inch chamber then 3 inch shell shot in 31/2 chamber.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

davisd9

I jumped on the 3.5" train when I first got interested in hunting waterfowl and turkeys.  I bought a Mossberg 835 and was rolling out 3.5" turkey and waterfowl loads and buckshot.  Started getting bad habits, so I decided to see what the difference the 3" would be.  Ever since I have stuck to 3".  3.5" gives more numbers, but 3" will kill just as dead and I have seen when the pattern is more even in a 3".  I still hunt with the 835 and like that I have a choice in all sizes, but I hunt with 2.75" for dove, rabbit, and so forth and 3" for turkeys.  By the way, imo, duck hunting isn't what it is cracked up to be, too cold and too dag early. But I love when a buddy brings me one to eat. Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bbcoach

If your Walmart carrys guns, they have a catalog that you can SPECIAL order from.  You don't have to take what they have in stock.  Check the catalog, get the gun you want and get it in the CAMO pattern you prefer not what they have in stock.  I SPECIAL ordered my Mossy 835 two years ago and had it in about 7 days.  Easy, Got What I wanted and Would do it Again.

NorthGaHunter

Quote from: JohnDoe on June 09, 2011, 12:29:44 AM

N.Ga
Let us know what you get and I hope we can help with your setup

John

It's been a few days since I logged in but thanks for all the replies / inputs.  I have
not decided on the 12 gauge yet.  I did get me another 870 20 gauge so I can have one set up to shoot tight and the other set up to shoot a little more open.  I am going think some more over the summer about the 12 gauge.  

My initial concern or question was if there were any noticeable difference in patterns shooting 3" shells out of a 3 1/2 gun when compared to shooting a 3" shell out of a 3 " chambered gun.  If there was a noticeable difference in weight of the gun, I would go with the 3" for sure but accourding to the specs, if I remember correctly, there is no weight difference between the 3 1/2 and the 3" gun.  I got a  browning 12 gauge that is very heavy so I thought I might pick up a lighter 12 gauge.  

Also, I am not sure if I want to just be spending the money right now.  Most likely I will hunt with a 20 gauge all next season anyway.  A big thanks to Hal for that, his 20 gauge loads blow my 12 guage away.  Now my cousin just got an 870 20 guage last week too so I guess he will be using that next season.  

Thanks again for all the responses and any more that ya'll might add.