OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12 ga 870 question

Started by NorthGaHunter, June 03, 2011, 10:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthGaHunter

Was thinking about getting a 12 ga 870 express synthetic stock and maybe getting it camo dipped in the future.  I see it priced around $319 for black synthetic stock.  I also noticed I could get an 870 express super mag in Bottomland camo and drilled and tapped for $489. 

If I am going to eventually have it dipped, it comes out a lot cheaper to just buy the super mag which is a 3 ½ in gun  (already dipped and receiver drilled/tapped) instead of getting the 3" black synthetic and having a gunsmith to drill/tap and then later sending it off to be dipped. 

Any advantages/disadvantages to having a 3 ½ gun for turkey which I would mostly be shooting 3" TSS loads out of.  I don't really duck hunt anymore so for now, it would be mostly used for turkey.  The only advantage I see would be that I could still shoot my 3 ½ shells that I still have.   Of course since I am shooting TSS, I probably won't use the 3 ½ shells unless I am running low on TSS ammo and just use hevi shot as a back up or something in case of operator error.   

Has anyone noticed a difference in patterns,  shooting a 3" in a 3 ½" chamber gun compared to a 3" chambered gun.  I thought there were some threads last year about this. 

Longshanks

I have two REM 870's that are both 3in. I prefer the old wingmasters myself.  Seem like better quality.   I had one of the Rem 870 Black Synthetic 3.5 that i sold due to the fact that it kicked like a mule and the patterns werent as good with 3.5 lead as they were with 3.0 lead. The action was rough and it felt like the quality wasnt there.  REM that felt like a Mossberg.  The Hevi shot 5 and 6 patterns were a little better but not enough to justify the beating i was taking. Shot Nitro 4x5x7 out of it/ great pattern/ but i thought i was going to end up at the dentist. Shooting TSS 3in outta be awesome..My 3in guns will both turn over 200 in a 10in circle @ 40 with  Hevi 3/2/7's.  I guess its just a matter of preference.  Ive heard of some high numbers with 3.5  hevi 7's out of the 870..if numbers is what you are looking for..and you dont care about the rest..Mossberg will turn some crazy numbers.

gophert

If you can find them...Wal-mart just last week had full camo 870 Super Mags for $317.  I saw one store that had a few of them. 

My personal preference is to buy as much as you can and that includes the 3.5" over the 3".  Who knows what might happen with shot shells and by purchasing the 3" model you are basically limiting yourself. 

For a nickel more, why not go first class.  Just my opinion. 

mightyjoeyoung

Agreed.  Get the best you can now so you don't have to "upgrade" later.  I agree with Longshanks too...best 870s were the old 3' wingmasters, then the original express mags running a close second.  I still have the first express mag i ever got back when the model first came out and even though I own 2 835s a SBE II and a Model 37, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Solid as a rock and goes bang every single time.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gophert on June 03, 2011, 11:53:23 AM
If you can find them...Wal-mart just last week had full camo 870 Super Mags for $317.  I saw one store that had a few of them. 

My personal preference is to buy as much as you can and that includes the 3.5" over the 3".  Who knows what might happen with shot shells and by purchasing the 3" model you are basically limiting yourself. 

For a nickel more, why not go first class.  Just my opinion. 

I agree with that.  Not that a 3" chamber like mine won't kill them.  But you might as well get the Super Mag 870 at wally world already in camo. 

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on June 04, 2011, 10:34:55 AM
Quote from: gophert on June 03, 2011, 11:53:23 AM
If you can find them...Wal-mart just last week had full camo 870 Super Mags for $317.  I saw one store that had a few of them.  

My personal preference is to buy as much as you can and that includes the 3.5" over the 3".  Who knows what might happen with shot shells and by purchasing the 3" model you are basically limiting yourself.  

For a nickel more, why not go first class.  Just my opinion.  

I agree with that.  Not that a 3" chamber like mine won't kill them.  But you might as well get the Super Mag 870 at wally world already in camo.  

Yup, you will definately save allot of money at wally world if you want to do all those upgrades to the gun. (camo dip, tapping, etc) Thats $300 worth of upgrades alone.

drenalinld

I think a 3" shell patterns a little better out of a gun chambered for 3.5" because the longer chamber acts like a lengthened forcing cone.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: drenalinld on June 04, 2011, 12:27:48 PM
I think a 3" shell patterns a little better out of a gun chambered for 3.5" because the longer chamber acts like a lengthened forcing cone.

I disagree.  I can show you patterns in the bigger overbored .775 Moss 835 to blow that theory.  The 870 should be no different.  I have seen too many 870 3.5" patterns to say that the bigger payload and longer shell is the way to go.  I know in my 835 that there is nite and day difference between the 2 Hevi-13 loads of 3" and 3.5".  The only 1/4oz difference between them may be small but the patterns are way better with the 3.5" load. 

goblr77

I have never had a 3" load outpattern a 3.5" load of the same shot in any of my guns. If choked correctly that extra payload will equal more hits.

Longshanks

If you are going to shoot 3.5 max loads out of an 870 and do a good bit of testing i would go over to the sports isle at Wally World and buy a mouthpiece.. :toothy12: The difference in the patterns from 3" to 3.5" has not been enough for me to want to endure that kind of beating from a shotgun. I've heard the whole "dont feel it when you shoot a turkey" but no thanks. I'm turning 230's in a 12in circle @ 40 with 3/2/7's  out of my Rem 870 and that's good enough for me. I would buy the 3.5 gun that has all the amenities that you want but i bet you will be satisfyed with the 3in TSS patterns. I would be willing to bet you will get 250-300 easy @ 40 shooting 8's or 9's TSS.   If you are looking to see how high of numbers you can get then you can always shoot the 3.5 mini sticks of dynamite through the gun. :anim_25:

Reloader

Hard to go wrong with that wally world SM for $317.  Already camo, just needs another $20 thrown at it for drilling and tapping.

Sent from my Droid using tapatalk.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Longshanks on June 04, 2011, 02:06:50 PM
If you are going to shoot 3.5 max loads out of an 870 and do a good bit of testing i would go over to the sports isle at Wally World and buy a mouthpiece.. :toothy12: The difference in the patterns from 3" to 3.5" has not been enough for me to want to endure that kind of beating from a shotgun. I've heard the whole "dont feel it when you shoot a turkey" but no thanks. I'm turning 230's in a 12in circle @ 40 with 3/2/7's  out of my Rem 870 and that's good enough for me. I would buy the 3.5 gun that has all the amenities that you want but i bet you will be satisfyed with the 3in TSS patterns. I would be willing to bet you will get 250-300 easy @ 40 shooting 8's or 9's TSS.   If you are looking to see how high of numbers you can get then you can always shoot the 3.5 mini sticks of dynamite through the gun. :anim_25:

And don't forget to set up a visit to the chiropractor too for when your head gets knocked off the one side! :TooFunny:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on June 04, 2011, 02:37:52 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on June 04, 2011, 02:06:50 PM

And don't forget to set up a visit to the chiropractor too for when your head gets knocked off the one side! :TooFunny:

Amen
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Wolfpack

My 870 setup is a dream to shoot even with a 3 1/2 mag blend. She patterns
both 3" and 3 1/2" shells well. The barrel was a little rough so I had it
polished ,and I cut the trigger spring down, but it still has plenty of creep
in it so I'm planning on adding a Timney trigger kit before next season.
used a .660 Rhino for 3" & now using a .665 Jebs with the 3 1/2" Blends.
Both chokes will blow them over but the .665 gave me a more even pattern.
Dewey

SumToy

I have saw this.  You hit the nail on the head with the long chamber working as a long forcing cone.  I would get the 31/2 shoot 3 inch if you want and then if you ever need to go big you can.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA