OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD Strutter

Started by alloutdoors, February 06, 2011, 05:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

to high for me i will stick to jake mobile and my gobbler fan tacked on a stick , they work pretty good :z-guntootsmiley:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

precision detail makes it incredibly lifelike, but based on looking at the pictures, I'm left scratching my head saying, "Why is it so big!?"

the common complaint with b-mobile decoys is the the sheer size of the body can sometimes deter even mature birds from approaching it and this DSD seems to fall within those lines?

Gobble!

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 07, 2011, 04:11:29 PM
precision detail makes it incredibly lifelike, but based on looking at the pictures, I'm left scratching my head saying, "Why is it so big!?"

the common complaint with b-mobile decoys is the the sheer size of the body can sometimes deter even mature birds from approaching it and this DSD seems to fall within those lines?

That is the exact reason I won't be buying one. This sucker looks huge. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so

alloutdoors

As posted on another forum:

Quote18" tall
15" wide
15" beak to tail

Life size approx 18 lbs.

It's supposed to be about the size of a Pretty Boy decoy.  I've never had any issues with birds running from one of those.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: alloutdoors on February 07, 2011, 07:57:35 PM
As posted on another forum:

Quote18" tall
15" wide
15" beak to tail

Life size approx 18 lbs.

It's supposed to be about the size of a Pretty Boy decoy.  I've never had any issues with birds running from one of those.

yeah, that's too big as far as I'm concerned.  if im going to employ a strutting decoy, I want the approaching gobbler to think, "Man, that lil punk is puney, I'm going to run over there and kick his A--!"  

what i don't want the gobbler to think is, "Man, I'm NOT sure I can take that guy," which has happened and will continue to happen in some situations.  

by making the decoy smaller, let's say to the size of a 14lb gobbler, there would be NO DOUBT in an approaching gobbler's mind that he could challenge the impostor and WIN!

when I am able to look at a turkey decoy and think, "Man, that's a good size bird," I can only imagine what a real turkey thinks.

shootumindaface

The birds I have shot over 1 3/8 have all been substantially smaller body wise

alloutdoors

I'm sure it could happen, but like I said, I've never seen it while using a Pretty Boy.  I've had some birds come in more cautiously than others, but they still came in.  I do have mine rigged up so I can make it turn back and forth though, and I think that the motion is a big part of the success I've had using it.

savduck

I think they would be in gun range before they thought it was to big. That thing looks sweet.
Georgia Boy

Dave Smith

Every decoy we have ever made was viewed skeptically at first by some so I guess the strutter shouldn't be any different. Like any decoy we made at first, this, too is currently un-proven so nobody could blame anyone who doesn't want to try it until others have paved the way. I gotta say though, that if I made him any smaller, he would be less than life-size and less than accurate and I'm just not into doing that. He would be like all the other strutters in the world, many of which aren't working as well as guys would like. Meanwhile, real turkeys are fighting with other turkeys the size of our strutter and have been for centuries. The guys that begged us to make a strutter are using stuffers and the huge majority of these stuffers are much bigger than our decoy. They're begging us for a reason. Another thing people rarely think about is: how does a Tom know how big he is? he's never seen himself, his beard, or his spurs! All he knows is his attitude, his mood, and his place in the pecking order. For the guys that don't want to risk not beng able to shoot a subordinate bird, we have a jake decoy.
Ofcourse there's risks when you make something that people aren't used to or goes against the grain of how things have "always been done", but that's what I love about this business, and we're confident! We have a good track record of these things working and working well. Our deer is coming out this summer and I expect the same skeptisicm with it and I can certainly understand why!
The bottom line is, in my opinion: there's no wrong way to turkey hunt and if you are using no decoy or a 12 dollar decoy, or 12 or even more DSD decoys (gaining in popularity!) and you're having fun and maybe taking a kid out once in a while, then God bless ya and that's all that matters! Good hunting to all
DS

allchokedup

I had birds twice last year, turn and run like a rabbit when they saw my Killer-B. Like some say.....size don't matter :help:

Dan Mallia

Quote from: Dave Smith on February 07, 2011, 09:47:46 PM
Every decoy we have ever made was viewed skeptically at first by some so I guess the strutter shouldn't be any different. Like any decoy we made at first, this, too is currently un-proven so nobody could blame anyone who doesn't want to try it until others have paved the way. I gotta say though, that if I made him any smaller, he would be less than life-size and less than accurate and I'm just not into doing that. He would be like all the other strutters in the world, many of which aren't working as well as guys would like. Meanwhile, real turkeys are fighting with other turkeys the size of our strutter and have been for centuries. The guys that begged us to make a strutter are using stuffers and the huge majority of these stuffers are much bigger than our decoy. They're begging us for a reason. Another thing people rarely think about is: how does a Tom know how big he is? he's never seen himself, his beard, or his spurs! All he knows is his attitude, his mood, and his place in the pecking order. For the guys that don't want to risk not beng able to shoot a subordinate bird, we have a jake decoy.
Ofcourse there's risks when you make something that people aren't used to or goes against the grain of how things have "always been done", but that's what I love about this business, and we're confident! We have a good track record of these things working and working well. Our deer is coming out this summer and I expect the same skeptisicm with it and I can certainly understand why!
The bottom line is, in my opinion: there's no wrong way to turkey hunt and if you are using no decoy or a 12 dollar decoy, or 12 or even more DSD decoys (gaining in popularity!) and you're having fun and maybe taking a kid out once in a while, then God bless ya and that's all that matters! Good hunting to all
DS

Nice post Dave, great looking deke. :you_rock:

turkey_slayer

Quote from: boomer on February 06, 2011, 05:52:16 PM
Thats an GREAT looking decoy but since I mainly hunt public. Dont think i would want to take the chance of it getting shot.

You mean you wouldnt set that thing in a field,in front of you, near a main dirt road?  ;D Dave, even though I dont use decoys you sir do have the most realistic ones and I hope these sell like hot cakes for you!

northms

I would definitely be afraid to use that on public ground, maybe any decoy for that matter.  It's a great looking decoy.

st4wheel

Looks great but I have had some younger toms seem to b skittish w a full strutter decoy
LIMBHANGER

tjh24

I think instead of getting my next bird mounted, I am going to buy the strutter decoy and just mount my wings, tail and beard to it!  Heck it looks just as good and it is a heck of alot cheaper than what my taxidermist wants for a strutting mount!  I cant use it for a decoy here in PA, I hunt public land and would be shot for sure!