OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why I use decoys...

Started by fallhnt, October 24, 2021, 08:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

Had a mixed flock come in to calling near a known roost. This roost has produced just gobblers until the last three years. I had a single, "funky chicken" jake decoy out in order to lighten the load. Got looks but no takers. Added my Deception jake in the a.m. A hen flew down and came in to see the new guys. When I heard and saw the longbeards fly down  I started calling. They headed my way ready to fight. As they piled in,the pushing and shoving caused a few to move  towards me. In the timber on a cloudy morning it was to dark to see to shoot,so I was watching the show. Slowly going in to strut I knew the fun was about to begin. One of them started flogging my decoy moving one into shooting position. As I watched the leg of a none strutting bird,at full draw, my pin moved upward to the upper third. The shot sent them running and I had no chance to double. Called in two longbeards at 4:00 but they had nothing to do with me when they saw the fakes from earlier in the day. The interaction I see with decoys on a fall bowhunt is why I use them. You never know what you will see. As a bonus when bucks are near it stops them. I shot a nice 10 pt. and passed on another shooter. Does want nothing to do with them. Most likely they spot the ground blind.
Note: Good old YT hunter have drawn attention to one of the spots I could break away from the crowd. I talked to a young man on the way out. He said he was watching a hunt on a popular outfitter in my state and the hunter said " This butts up to public hunting XYZ near ABC ville" and that's why i came". I have personally never seen treestands on that side of the creek. Years ago it was magazine articles and finally the state stepped in and capped NR on public until gun season. Don't matter to me. I've outlasted the "the latest rage"before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Tom007

Great job, congrats....nice Tom
"Solo hunter"

Cowboy

Great hunt. Congrats on the gobbler. Thanks for posting it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Beards and Hooks

Congrats on a great tom and hunt!

Greg Massey

Congrats on nice gobbler ...

Tail Feathers

Congrats on the tom, and with a bow to boot!  Well done.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Vintage

eggshell

congrats as well. I called in a group of three long beards last Monday that came in sparring and strutting.  One of them road home in the truck with me.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

Mossberg90MN

Congrats on the bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

After reading your OP, your decision makes good sense.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

lacire

Nice shot, sounds like you had a good hunt.

crow