OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wad Catchers

Started by hawk, February 13, 2011, 02:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I sent an IC with the dings on the concentric rings back to Mike Ponder last year for evaluation.  Mike sent it back and said that they should have no impact on my patterns and that it was normal after repeated use w/HTL.  I had already purchased another IC tube and evaluated the "new" and "old" tubes side by side.  Shooting the same Hevi-13 loads,  I got almost identical patterns and pellet counts with both IC tubes.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Mike is just a good ole boy. 

jwill

All mine have dings in them, too.

SumToy

Quote from: S.C.C on February 14, 2011, 08:32:08 AM
Quote from: SumToy on February 13, 2011, 09:19:01 PM
Should not happen.  We have fired Steel shot and Heavy shot without any problems.  Most of the chokes now days that are built are maid from 17-4 SS.

You may want to check the hardness scale of 17-4 HT SS and Tungsten based shot.The wad is there to protected the brl. and choke from damage. Any choke with abrupt stops to separates the wad and shot before it leaves the muzzle is going to have scouring and dent damage from Tungsten based shot.

Picture looks like typical Hevi-Shot wear an tear to me!!

We have test this for years.  We are out of the target world so all this wad stopping that choke companies are doing now we did for years.  Now if the choke has a good lay out it will not have the shot beating the stops that bad.  I will stand up for a few companies and say they got a good set up.  I have some that if you had a dime for ever lead and heavy shot that been out it you would not have to work for a month. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

S.C.C

We have test this for years.  We are out of the target world so all this wad stopping that choke companies are doing now we did for years.  Now if the choke has a good lay out it will not have the shot beating the stops that bad.  I will stand up for a few companies and say they got a good set up.  I have some that if you had a dime for ever lead and heavy shot that been out it you would not have to work for a month.  
[/quote]
IN REALITY....Yes stepped chokes and brls have been used for years and were designed for lead shot.Any choke that has squared wad catch rings is designed to catch and peel the wad from the front.using this design with hevi-shot give you no way to keep the choke from damage.why use these in a hevi choke if you are just going to beat them out over time anyway?
IMO,the best designed hevi chokes pull the wad from the back/base and especially the chokes that do that right before it exits the choke!