turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wad Catchers

Started by hawk, February 13, 2011, 02:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk

Are the rings or groves that look like steps inside these chokes suposed to have nicks/dimples in them? Perhaps from impact with the shot colume?

Gobble!

Never seen that on my Indian creek

S.C.C

no possible way from that not happening in certain styles of wad catchers when the choke metal is softer than the shot fired thru it!!!  :o

hawk

This a Swarm 20ga. I got on here.I have not shot it so have no idea what has been run through it. I may PM the person I got it from and ask. The nicks showed up after I cleaned it.

sugarray

hawk

I can email you a pic. Havn't figured out how to upload a pic yet.

Gobble!

Email that and some please post it

hawk

Here is a pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SumToy

Should not happen.  We have fired Steel shot and Heavy shot without any problems.  Most of the chokes now days that are built are maid from 17-4 SS.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

boggszilla

Quote from: Gobble! on February 13, 2011, 03:57:29 PM
Never seen that on my Indian creek

spray some brake clean down it,have another look. :icon_thumright:

hawk

SR1

It almost looks like it was stuck at one time and someone used a tool they shouldnt of used to get it out but would have to have it in hand to really tell. I wouldnt be worried about shooting it though see how it patterns then go from there.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

allaboutshooting

Quote from: hawk on February 13, 2011, 02:59:27 PM
Are the rings or groves that look like steps inside these chokes suposed to have nicks/dimples in them? Perhaps from impact with the shot colume?

I can't really see your pictures very well but it's my experience that the more that choke is shot, the better it does.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

S.C.C

Quote from: SumToy on February 13, 2011, 09:19:01 PM
Should not happen.  We have fired Steel shot and Heavy shot without any problems.  Most of the chokes now days that are built are maid from 17-4 SS.

You may want to check the hardness scale of 17-4 HT SS and Tungsten based shot.The wad is there to protected the brl. and choke from damage. Any choke with abrupt stops to separates the wad and shot before it leaves the muzzle is going to have scouring and dent damage from Tungsten based shot.

Picture looks like typical Hevi-Shot wear an tear to me!!

Reloader

Wad catchers get beat to heck with HTL shot. Very normal and it does not hurt a thing.  I talked with Scott about it a couple years ago when I started seeing it a good bit and he said his ICs for still shooting were beat up as well and they patterned just as good as they always had.

If your chokes with wad stoppers don't have the dings, you haven't run enough HTL through them for them to show yet. 

Clean the choke and let 'er rip.

Reloader