turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Homade gobbler killer

Started by headbanger, February 13, 2011, 02:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headbanger

Just a few pics of the selfbow I had mentioned in the trad post...Specs 66" and 52#'s@29"draw

1st 3 shots after some tuning...

and last 3 of 30...

This was a fun build and my 1st. WILL NOT be the last. Watch out Tom, coming after ya!
headbanger

wildcat14

VAHUNTER

very nice  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
i really like the looks !!! and great shooting too :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

PANYHunter

That's awesome.  Good luck with it this spring.  I also love the target

FLAhotdog

Go get ya sum....Nice looking stick! :icon_thumright:

headbanger

Thanks men... looking forward to gettin after em with it!

headbanger

clarksvalley

nice bow,i`m a compound man but sure do like to look at them stick bows.

turkey slayer

Fox Fire

Did you do a board bow build or what ?  every time I'm in the lumber yard I check out ther wood to see whats useable, (ya know...that just sounds bad) I've looked at some of the build alongs and a board bow mite be a good learning experience, kind of a primer.

headbanger

Fox Fire,

Yes, this is a board bow. 6' Red oak from Lowes. Searched thru probably 50 pieces and came up with 2 that had the grain I was looking for. Picked up another 4' piece and a strip of poplar for the grip. So... I have enough materials to tackle another when I can find the time :you_rock:. Will probably make the next one a little shorter (58"to 60") just because all my longbows and recurves are between 62 and 66". Would like to give a shorter one a try. ANY of them are slayers though ;D so if I do my part we're looking at a couple of flopping birds between late March and mid May :happy0064:

Thanks for checking it out fellas

headbanger

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

schuylkillspur

Awesome. I'm gonna try my big River Longbow this year. Maybe some year I'll get up the nerve to build a selfbow and hunt with it. Good Luck :anim_25:
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

headbanger

Quote from: schuylkillspur on February 15, 2011, 07:54:19 PM
Awesome. I'm gonna try my big River Longbow this year. Maybe some year I'll get up the nerve to build a selfbow and hunt with it. Good Luck :anim_25:

Is that the Big River you have pictured on the trad thread? Sweet bow!  It don't take nerve or a rigged out shop. I made this one under my carport with hand tools. Don't get me wrong, power tools would have been nice... I'm just limited on the correct ones. My electric hand sander did come in handy though ;D. Took probably 15 hours of actual work time spread out over a couple of weeks. GOOD TIMES!!

headbanger

MarkJM

awesome bow man. what wood did you use? :icon_thumright:
MuellerCustomCalls

headbanger

Markjm,
just a piece of red oak from Lowes. This one had a good grain that ran from end to end. Grip is redoak with a small lam of poplar. The poplar was a nice yellow but it really soaked up the stain being such a soft wood.Where the sanding was done at the fades it turned into a nice golden color. If anyone is interested in trying one yourself let me know and I will link you to the website I used which takes you through step by step. Thanks for checking it out.

headbanger