turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trail Cameras

Started by cwb04, June 16, 2021, 10:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwb04

I understand that the state of Arizona is in the process of outlawing trail cameras?  Has anyone else heard this?  I use a couple of them mainly for deer inventory on a property. 

I have several friends that use them prior to turkey season and this time of year to check on nesting success, poults etc.  I will probably use them prior to turkey season next year on a couple properties. 

I know a lot of folks use them and they can be a very valuable tool.

What are your thoughts on Arizona outlawing them?  Will other states follow suit?  What's next?

PNWturkey

Fair Chase - trail cameras which transmit live images to a cell phone are arguably not Fair Chase.

For that matter, trail cameras with a time stamp, which hunters can use to pattern turkey/deer/antelope at a watering hole, feeding area, etc. are arguably not Fair Chase either...

Dtrkyman

I hunt AZ. every year for mule deer, being I am not from there I have no dog in the fight for cameras.  I can see both sides, it is a huge advantage to run cams.  I am surprised though, I could see them outlawing cell cams or cams on public but still surprised.

Colorado has a no cell type cam rule, I can see that taking place in many states, a total ban not very likely.

I managed 3k plus acres for some guys in Illinois, cameras made my life and job a whole lot easier!  If I was getting a buck on camera regularly we ran about 90% plus at getting a crack at him!

I do miss the old days where you just went and hunted sign though!

guesswho

I would tell AZ good luck with that plan.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

I couldn't locate anything on the AZ G&F website indicating any specific regulations have been adopted yet. Assuming they have not finalized their regulation on game cams yet, I predict they will probably adopt regulations similar to other states that have made the use of the "real time" live-image-transmitting cameras illegal during hunting seasons. 

I doubt they would make generic, image-storing game cams illegal.  There are lots of folks, hunters and non-hunters alike, that use those cameras for wildlife viewing and inventory.  I suspect there would be a lot of push-back from the public on a regulation banning all game camera use, but who knows?  We'll see....

And I agree, the "time stamp" issue is a gray area that needs consideration as to its fair-chase implications.

Dtrkyman

Option 1 is as follows:
Ban the use of all trail cameras

R12-4-301: Repeal definition of "live action trail camera."

R12-4-301: Add definition: "Trail camera" means an unmanned device used to capture images, video, or location data of wildlife.

R12-4-303: A person shall not use a trail camera, or images from a trail camera, for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, or locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.

Other options included a season on the use of trail cameras with a closed season from July 1 to January 31.

Option 2 is as follows:
Establish a trail camera season

R12-4-301: Add definition: "Trail camera" means an unmanned device used to capture images, video, or location data of wildlife.

R12-4-303: A person shall not use a trail camera, or images from a trail camera, for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, or locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife from July 1 through January 31 annually.

There has already been a petition started on Change.org gathering signatures in opposition of this potential ban. You can check out the petition here.

Stay tuned for more updates as this moves along and when the public comment period will be. Note: this isn't set in stone at this time. If you would like to contact the Arizona Game and Fish Commission in the meantime, their name and contact information are below.

Sixes

I would fight this government over control vehemently. State owned land? I might could accept it, but no way I would be good with private property or Federal land being in this law.

joey46

We use multiple cameras on private land. Have 4 running now. They catch trespassers as well as view game.  This is imo an overreach.  We'll call them field security cameras if that keeps everyone happy. 

grayfox

I see no problem with using regular trail cameras. They have been in use for years now. The ones that send live images might be a debatable subject but just using normal trail cameras shouldn't be an issue.

Mossberg90MN

Yea I don't support it. I don't really use them since I don't have any private land to hunt.

But I know if I owned a piece of land I would have them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Where I live inTx we have antler size requirements of 13" inside spread or larger.  Having trail cam pics can help judge deer prior to season and hep prevent you from shooting g one that is too small. 
That said, half the bucks I e shot n the past 8 years or so are ones I've never seen on camera before.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Hook hanger

I liked the days where you had to get out and scout a big buck out than the days now where ever kid i talk to says look at this buck I got on camera. The younger generations sure have it easy!

J.D. Shellnut

If I lived in Arizona I would fight this as if they are trying to take my guns!!! Thats coming too! Because if they can stop you from using a trail camera. Whats next????
60% of the time it works every time!

Happy

Already passed. 5-0 from what I read.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

nativeks

Every water hole out there has as many trail cameras on it as nearby trees can hold. Folks have to go in to check said trail cameras. There is alot of concern that all the traffic in and out makes the water holes difficult for the animals to use. The rule is almost unenforceable I believe unless folks are gonna rat out every cam they see.