turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

winchester sx4 cantilever 20ga

Started by Old Timer, June 02, 2021, 03:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Anyone familiar with this? What is drawing me to it is it is gas operated. Downside is the weight specified is 6.75-7.25 lbs. My Beretta A350 12  is lighter than that. Pros-cons guys?

Yelper

Not sure why the cantilever weights that much more, but if you were interested in the sx4 I would get the universal hunter that is already drilled and tapped for a scope or a red dot type sight.

20 ga sx4 cantilever with 24 inch barrel-Weight
7 lbs 4 oz

20 ga sx4 universal hunter with a 26 inch barrel-Weight
6 lbs 10 oz

Old Timer

Thanks. I do not have a 20 in the stable as yet so im pondering.

lunghit

I'd do exactly what Yelper is saying and get the universal model. I own the SX3 cantilever in 12 gauge and always wished it was a regular model with a 26" barrel. Excellent gun but kind of limited in certain ways with the cantilever. I also own an SX3 and SX4 20 gauges with 26" barrels and they are phenomenal guns. Love the proven gas system and they are soft reliable shooters. My SX4 shoots dead on with the bead at 40 yards. My SX3 I'm setting up now with a Burris Fastfire 3 and Meadow Creek mount.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Dtrkyman

I passed on that gun due to the weight.  The main purpose of 20ga was the weight.  In hind sight I would have went 28ga when I started hand loading.

My sbe2 is only 7.2 lbs so a new turkey getter had to be light!

RED NECK

Nice gun. Im happy with it,Id buy a universal one with a 24" barrel if I find it. I never noticed the weight but It is not light for a 20 gauge.Nice feeling comfortable gun.No recoil from my perspective.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

lunghit

If you want light weight go with the Benelli Montefeltro 20.  Excellent gun.

Old Timer

Want to find a balance recoil can be an issue with my neck. I have a 835 scoped my main turkey gun although it is a heavy one. A Beretta A350 12  7.25lbs I use mainly for waterfowl but I did take a nice gobbler with it last year. The Beretta is so easy to clean. You know the drill we are always looking.

Tail Feathers

The SX 3 is the softest shooting 20 I have ever handled.  The weight isn't bad.  I had an 835 and have a lighter single shot 20.  Really the 8 oz or so of difference in weights doesn't make much difference, the sling makes them tolerable or not. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Old Timer

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 03, 2021, 11:26:42 AM
The SX 3 is the softest shooting 20 I have ever handled.  The weight isn't bad.  I had an 835 and have a lighter single shot 20.  Really the 8 oz or so of difference in weights doesn't make much difference, the sling makes them tolerable or not.
What`s your set up? Thanks

lunghit

Here are my SX guns. The top pic is my 20 SX3 and the bottom pic is my SX3 and SX4 20 gauges and the SX3 12 gauge (cantilever).

davisd9

Quote from: lunghit on June 03, 2021, 12:20:43 PM
Here are my SX guns. The top pic is my 20 SX3 and the bottom pic is my SX3 and SX4 20 gauges and the SX3 12 gauge (cantilever).

One of the best Greenleaf dips I have seen!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Terry

I have the SX4 that I bought an extra cantilever barrel for. I love the ability to change barrels and not have to worry about POI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunghit

Quote from: davisd9 on June 03, 2021, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: lunghit on June 03, 2021, 12:20:43 PM

One of the best Greenleaf dips I have seen!

Thanks!

lunghit

Quote from: Terry on June 03, 2021, 12:44:55 PM
I have the SX4 that I bought an extra cantilever barrel for. I love the ability to change barrels and not have to worry about POI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice set up Terry. I love my SX4. Mine shoots POA/POI with the bead at 40 yards. I'm going to leave that gun the way it is and use just a bead. Sometimes I like simplicity. Where did you get that turkey footprint bolt handle?