OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting without diaphragm calls

Started by HillclimberWV, May 19, 2021, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

If you want to seal the deal, scratch in the leaves beside your leg when he's about 75 yards out.

davisd9

Quote from: bbcoach on May 20, 2021, 02:41:25 PM
If you want to seal the deal, scratch in the leaves beside your leg when he's about 75 yards out.

There is not always leaves to scratch in.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TRG3

I've never gotten he hang of the mouth calls. That's probably why mine are 12 years old, definitelsound raspy, and are used on a limited basis. Since I'm restricted to hunting small wood lots, I don't run and gun but instead set up at the edge of the woods behind a camo netting screen where I can move my hands, etc. while I use slates, pots, and my favorite nail call. 

bbcoach

Quote from: davisd9 on May 20, 2021, 02:53:29 PM

Point taken.  But so is getting caught moving while trying to finish with a pot or box because you don't use a diaphragm.

guesswho

A good stiff plastic grocery bag makes a great substitute and doesn't take up any room.  You can even add leaves if you wanted too.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

HookedonHooks

I don't hunt one anymore but not for the same reason. I grew up using only a diaphragm and just don't want to lean on that crutch anymore, they're very effective once you figure them out. I will say for me, dropping the mouth call and delving into the rest has dramatically increased my calling confidence, and as others said being put in a situation of closing a bird with any style call you're not comfortable with is much more difficult. That's why I chose to try and find comfort/confidence in several styles of calls rather than just always falling back on the ol' diaphragm or for many their old slate call.

Happy

Most any call can be used reliably and effectively on turkeys if the operator knows what he is doing. I have started and finished turkeys with most types out there. The only call I won't carry is a box. Just too bulky and clumsy for me. That and every mothers son seems to delight in beating the rails off of one and sounding like an uncoordinated idiot in the areas I hunt. I know they are effective in the right hands but i am a bit soured on them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

vt35mag

Past couple years I haven't used them as much as I used to. Mostly use it just to get him to stop and stretch his neck. Majority of the birds I hunt are in the woods, and if a bird is close enough to see me running a box or a slate, I don't need to do anymore calling. He knows right where I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Other than my gun and shells a mouth call would be my next priority!  Called in all my birds this year with one to at least finish them, a few with the help of a Crystal Mistress.

Big Jeremy

I use them on every hunt. At least as confident with them as any other call. Keep working on it!

As others have said, though, I do recommend a push pin call. A Loftis chatterbox is a great sounding push pin that you should be able to get your hands on pretty easily that won't break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nativeks

My first 20 years were without diaphragm calls. I didnt pick them up till the last 5 years or so.

davisd9

Quote from: guesswho on May 20, 2021, 05:01:18 PM

A good stiff plastic grocery bag makes a great substitute and doesn't take up any room.  You can even add leaves if you wanted too.

Handing out paid membership type information, thanks!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

PNWturkey

Have never used one in over 30 years of hunting/killing turkeys.

Some hunters will claim that you need a mouth call once the gobbler gets close, since you can't get away with hand movements with a box or pot call.  However, I don't like to call once the gobbler is within 60 yards or so.  He already knows exactly where you are, just let him come on in a little closer looking for you...

Also, calling in general is overrated, IMO.  Doesn't take a very good turkey caller to consistently kill turkeys if he/she has good woodsmanship skills and knows how to properly set up on turkeys, use terrain to your advantage, etc...

Paulmyr

Quote from: PNWturkey on May 21, 2021, 08:38:46 PM
Also, calling in general is overrated, IMO.  Doesn't take a very good turkey caller to consistently kill turkeys if he/she has good woodsmanship skills and knows how to properly set up on turkeys, use terrain to your advantage, etc...

Tell that to the guy sitting in a private field with his funky chicken and a hen decoy after I turned I tom back into public for my dad to shoot this spring. Calling isn't everything but it sure helps. Especially if your good at it and know what to say.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

PNWturkey

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 21, 2021, 10:01:03 PM
Quote from: PNWturkey on May 21, 2021, 08:38:46 PM

Tell that to the guy sitting in a private field with his funky chicken and a hen decoy after I turned I tom back into public for my dad to shoot this spring. Calling isn't everything but it sure helps. Especially if your good at it and know what to say.

I agree with your statement, and it sounds like you are a good caller.  But as you would likely agree with, newcomers to turkey hunting often obsess over their calling (witness the huge pack of different calls) while ignoring other very important aspects of turkey hunting, IMO.  So, per the OP's original question on diaphragm calls, I definitely don't feel like one has to master the diaphragm to consistently kill turkeys...