OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikers

Started by Hwd silvestris, May 19, 2021, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwd silvestris

Was thinking of getting some strikers turned.  Would Ironwood( hornbeam) and/or Osage orange(bodock) make a good striker.  Im in timber business (primarily hwd) and have access to any type wood native to Mississippi.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanders153

Osage Orange is tried and true. As Ironwood is a harder density wood, it is great especially for harder pot surface's like ceramic and crystal

Sir-diealot

I know for fact Osage Orange will, I have seen Ironwood used for mostly trumpets but do not recall seeing a striker made of it. I am far from all knowing though. Well off to the woods.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bbcoach

I'm a laminated striker guy.  Dymondwood and Frogwood bring out some of the best sounds in any pot IMO.  If you can get some hickory and or locust, I would suggest both of these.  Turn them on the thicker and heavier side.  Heavier seems to work the best for me.

Meleagris gallopavo

The native hornbeam is different than the ironwoods we're used to seeing strikers and other turkey call items made of.  The American Hornbeam is similar to hickory and black locust, so it may make a similar striker.  Osage is a proven winner for most turkey call applications.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Hwd silvestris

Thanks fellas

ChesterCopperpot

I don't have an ironwood striker but I sure love an osage striker. Love an osage pot too, or an osage trumpet for that matter. Great tonal quality but also just flat gorgeous wood. I love the honey colored lines in it, and how it darkens as it ages. Might be my favorite domestic wood for everything but box calls.

Sir-diealot

Wound up using nothing but persimmon calls and strikers today other than two scratch boxes because of this thread. Had one working and some idiot came up in his truck, private property mind you. I tried to get to him before he left but I have not been moving well today and he got away. I let the land owner know.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

aclawrence

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 19, 2021, 08:08:14 AM
I don't have an ironwood striker but I sure love an osage striker. Love an osage pot too, or an osage trumpet for that matter. Great tonal quality but also just flat gorgeous wood. I love the honey colored lines in it, and how it darkens as it ages. Might be my favorite domestic wood for everything but box calls.

I like Osage to. I've got an Osage hooter, crow call, and pot but I don't have an Osage striker. Now I'm going to have to get one.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Snakewood.  Get sharp tools.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

My closes thing of ever wanting osage striker, is a Clay Townsend Osage top with diamondwood striker, i do have one of those to go with his Osage pot glass over slate ...

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 19, 2021, 07:08:02 PM
My closes thing of ever wanting osage striker, is a Clay Townsend Osage top with diamondwood striker, i do have one of those to go with his Osage pot glass over slate ...

I have one of those. Great striker. I also have an osage from him that sounds fantastic on everything.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 19, 2021, 04:22:10 PM
Wound up using nothing but persimmon calls and strikers today other than two scratch boxes because of this thread. Had one working and some idiot came up in his truck, private property mind you. I tried to get to him before he left but I have not been moving well today and he got away. I let the land owner know.
How'd you like running that persimmon today?

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 19, 2021, 07:58:31 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 19, 2021, 04:22:10 PM
How'd you like running that persimmon today?

Had fun, I did not have all my persimmon strikers but I had the JHL and the Stuckey and I used them on the red, purple, green and black slates in persimmon pots that Footballer made for me and had along my Butternut/Persimmon Fiddle Box that Marlin Watkins made for me. I am going to have to get a persimmon scratchbox before next season. I wish that guy wouldn't have come through, first bird I have had working this season, I had let the property sit since Friday and let my body recoup a bit in hopes there would be more action, I did not know that they had been cutting silage in my absence though.

John Koenig:

Dtrkyman

Matt McLain makes a fine Ironwood striker!