OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pure Gold or IC

Started by chipper, May 30, 2011, 01:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

I've been shooting a IC.665 in my SX2 and SX3 for a few years now and love the dense core pattern I'm getting but I missed one this year at about 20 steps and got to thinking I may need to open my pattern a bit, I know the miss was my fault and not my equipments but has anyone compared these two chkes head to head in a Invector + barrel? I don't care about extended ranges, but I would like a little more even coverage at 40 and a little better coverage in a 15 inch circle at 20.

WNY Bowhunter

Check out this thread:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,10219.0.html

I have both chokes for my Inv.+ BPS and think that the Pure Gold has a slightly more even pattern in my gun (not by much though).  Both would devestate a birds head...
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Here's a different perspective for you.

Why shoot at a turkey's head when he is that close?  Conventional wisdom is to always take such a shot but I disagree with it if you're shooting htl loads.

When they are in the 25-15 yard range I shoot about an inch or two lower than the line where the feathers meet the neck.  When they are sub 15 yards I just body rock them right above the beard.  Believe me, in both scenarios, they are VERY, VERY dead.

Like you, my patterns are very, very tight at those ranges and I've just adapted a different strategy to allow myself to maximize the benefits of those patterns at long range while preventing errant shots when birds are in my bubble.

Furthermore, if you're looking for a more open 15" pattern you may consider going to a .675 IC (Mike will probably swap your .665 for a .675) or sumtoy .675.  I've never shot pure gold but they have a fantastic reputation amongst those who do shoot them on this site.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have .665 and .675 Indian Creek chokes for my 870, and the difference in the 10" numbers between the two is significant.  With Hevi13 #6's or Magnum Blend, the .675 puts up 10" numbers more akin to good Lead pattern numbers at 40 Yards, while the .665 easily puts up much better numbers than Lead.  A difference of .010 can open up your pattern quite a bit.

kdog

Chipper,

Dont overlook SumToy chokes,,,i am currently working with William Lambert of SumToy chokes to see which of his chokes works best with my gun.You dont see customer service like that very often.Give william a call or get ahold of him on the forum,,his forum name is of course SumToy,,,I dont think you will be dissapointed.

Kdog

Luke95

+1 sumtoy he has great cusomere service
Sumtoy Get Choked

rtsj

ILIKEHEVI-13

My Pure Gold has given me better 20" numbers than the Indian Creek I had.  The 10" numbers were almost identical.  This was in my 870.  

And the .665 Indian Creek BDS I had shot about like the Jelly Head .665.  I wasn't impressed with either.  I had a .669 Indian Creek BDS choke that shot way better.  And the .675 MAD Super Max seem to shoot the best in my barrel.  You can't listen to someone who tries to tell you that a certain exit diameter of .665 will be the cure all in your barrel just like theirs.  The only way you will know is to shoot as many good chokes as you can and use the one that shoots the best in your barrel.  A .670 or .675 should be a great starting point for you to try in your gun.  Aim small and miss small.  You may want to go to a dot scope.  If your wanting more open patterns though, a .690 may be for you. 

chipper

Inve shot a .675 Madd super max out of my gun and the pattern was pitiful,I,m interested in PG results though.

chipper

I shot a .675 Kicks and it was kinda what I'm looking for, it out shot the Madd Super max by a lot but I still am not getting the even coverage I want.

Britton40

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 30, 2011, 02:47:30 PM
Here's a different perspective for you.

Why shoot at a turkey's head when he is that close?  Conventional wisdom is to always take such a shot but I disagree with it if you're shooting htl loads.

When they are in the 25-15 yard range I shoot about an inch or two lower than the line where the feathers meet the neck.  When they are sub 15 yards I just body rock them right above the beard.  Believe me, in both scenarios, they are VERY, VERY dead.

Pro Tip right there.  A buddy of mine missed three long beards this year at 20 yards or less aiming at their head instead of the base of the neck.  He aint no rookie either.  Hard headed though.  It took three misses for him to listen.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Here is the deal:

What kind of pattern do you want, and at what distance do you want to have it?  What are you willing to sacrifice to have it that way, at that distance?

Real tight way out there = super tight up close.  It just makes sense.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'm pretty content with the way my Pure Gold patterns at 40yds with the open bead on my 870.  I think this is a very nice pattern.  There is 252 shot in that piece of standard paper.   I think there's about 90 shot in the head and neck region. 

Progunner

I'll let you guys decide which choke between the Pure Gold and the Indian Creek. i know which one I'd choose, but then again, I'm a little prejudice !

I do want to comment on body shooting a turkey, though. I for one, do NOT do this, because I eat what I kill. If you shoot a turkey low into the body zone, you really mess it up . A head or neck shot is the only real way to kill your bird and eat it , too !

I like the SPORT of Turkey hunting myself, not just the kill. After you kill the bird, the fun's all over. I too, love to get a bird into a really close range, say 10 or 15 yards or even less. I have never missed one that close either. I spend the necessary time to make sure I can hit a target, (bird) at that range before I decide to take that shot. I will admit to not getting a solid hit a couple times at close range, but then, that's why I shoot a 670 choke to give me a little room for error on my part.

Not stepping on anyone's toes here at all. I just want you to consider WHY you hunt turkeys. Is it to enjoy the SPORT of it, or are you trying to impress someone by making the kill.

If it's a bad shot, which in my opinion a body shot is, then let the bird walk away a bit before shooting him. I've had to do this several times over the years. If he gets away, so be it, you get to hunt him another day !

Just my two cents on the subject.

Oh yea, sorry for highjacking the thread, but someone else had already made the turn! LOL !

Bill Davis

Ol'Mossy

I kill for the thrill and the meat  :newmascot: :gobble: