OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black Hills

Started by mowguy, May 11, 2021, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanders153

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 12, 2021, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Sanders153 on May 12, 2021, 02:11:15 PM
What is happening to our turkeys guys
That's the million dollar question that has a good handful of factors.

I think the number one issue across the country is the fur market crashing has essentially stopped the wide spread trapping of nest predators. I truly believe a bounty on nest predators would not only put their populations back in check, it would drastically help turkeys everywhere. Partner that with research for better habitat practices for the turkey and general turkey research I think numbers could be greatly increased without sacrificing any hunter opportunity, and unfortunately in some states opportunity is what's being taken rather than making immediate ecological changes for the turkeys other than taking hunters out of the woods.

Agree ????. Nesting predators overpopulated are a huge issue. If they could be put back in check, I know it would help our birds greatly. I imagine our quail population would make a comeback as well

Sanders153

That icon was supposed to be 100%

tbowers

Just gotta put on miles and cover ground. They aint typically just going to be in your lap. I've hunted out there and killed- 10 mile plus days on your boots is the norm. The drive around/get out and call technique can work in some areas but in general the BH aint one of them- get out of the truck and walk around. Not saying this is you but it floors me how lazy turkey hunters can be...must be the same dudes hunting antelope that will only go 100 yds from the truck

Also in talking with biologists the turkey numbers have remained pretty consistent the past several years in the BH.

bwhana

Quote from: SD_smith on May 11, 2021, 08:40:07 PM
Quote from: turkeyfool on May 11, 2021, 04:09:52 PM
90% of the turkeys in the hills are in 10% of the area
As a former inhabitant of the Black Hills, this pretty bunch breaks it down Barney style. Once you find them you're good. In case you didn't know that already hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True that!  Big shout out to Dylan  for his advice before my trip too!

I hunted there Apr 25-29.  The weather simply sucked with extreme cold and winds, no sugar coating it.  The birds were still flocked up and not gobbling much on the roost, and almost none after, even at fly up. Closest I got was 100+ yds to a tom by trying to agitate the lead hen, but he only gobbled 2x during the whole calling duel. A little secret for you all... all the birds we found were in or near the snow.  I don't feel too bad for my first time there as we met a guide at the Alpine Inn at dinner that his clients had only taken 2 birds since it opened on Apr 9, his worst season ever to that point. It warmed up after I left and the birds were more playful then, but shut down again when it cooled back down. Miles of running and gunning don't do anything except wear out your legs and boots when they are like that, just saying - hunt smarter, not harder. Had much more action in the prarie, but again, the weather played a huge role and others with lots of experience were struggling there too until it warmed up.  The birds are up there, just need to be there at the right time!  The lack of deer was terrible too, only saw 533 the second day there! 

Sanders153

Those are some awesome pictures friend

WV Ridge Reaper

533 the second day? Heck I seen that in the first hour...If we had deer that amount back east you couldn't kill a bird here due to the deer snorting and running !!!

Don't forget every time your in the dark alone...you can't hear a Mountian lion in pine needles

Cowboy

Quote from: Sanders153 on May 12, 2021, 02:37:20 PM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 12, 2021, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Sanders153 on May 12, 2021, 02:11:15 PM
What is happening to our turkeys guys
That's the million dollar question that has a good handful of factors.

I think the number one issue across the country is the fur market crashing has essentially stopped the wide spread trapping of nest predators. I truly believe a bounty on nest predators would not only put their populations back in check, it would drastically help turkeys everywhere. Partner that with research for better habitat practices for the turkey and general turkey research I think numbers could be greatly increased without sacrificing any hunter opportunity, and unfortunately in some states opportunity is what's being taken rather than making immediate ecological changes for the turkeys other than taking hunters out of the woods.

Agree ????. Nesting predators overpopulated are a huge issue. If they could be put back in check, I know it would help our birds greatly. I imagine our quail population would make a comeback as well
Amen. Predators are big issue and habitat loss.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bwhana

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 12, 2021, 10:02:24 PM
533 the second day? Heck I seen that in the first hour...If we had deer that amount back east you couldn't kill a bird here due to the deer snorting and running !!!

Don't forget every time your in the dark alone...you can't hear a Mountian lion in pine needles
Here's a pic of the big cat poop I found on top of a mtn up there too, forgot about that! It had a 3ft mound of pine needles covering it and I uncovered it to prove to my friend that it was mtn lion.  Lots of cats running around according to the locals and pics they shared with them on their porches!

bchilde

I just got back from the black hills. I hunted with a guide though because of timing. We walked 10.5 miles before killing my bird in one day. It was by far the hardest hunting Iv done for turkeys but was well worth it. If your hunting public land you better walk far and like others say call call call. Don't be afraid to call . Unlike the Easterns they don't mind over calling from what I've seen. There was 11 people in camp and 10 killed within 2 days. Trophy ridge outfitters is who we hunted with. Moving on to Rios next.

joey46

Congrats.  Glad you got one.  Good luck on the Rio.