OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One more reason why I love OnX

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 22, 2021, 02:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Weird! I updated my app and checked it about 5 different times scrolling through looking for a scratching icon. Not one on mine. Sure you're not looking at the Turkey Strutzone marker that has 3 turkey tracks on it? I also see markers for Scat and Scrape but no scratching.

WV Ridge Reaper

No scratching icon on mine either and it is up to date

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: FLGobstopper on April 27, 2021, 12:49:28 AM
Weird! I updated my app and checked it about 5 different times scrolling through looking for a scratching icon. Not one on mine. Sure you're not looking at the Turkey Strutzone marker that has 3 turkey tracks on it? I also see markers for Scat and Scrape but no scratching.
Yeah, when I opened mine and looked I couldn't see it either. I think that probably is what he was looking at. Still hopeful they'll get one on there. Would also like a dusting icon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunt1988

Gaia is a better/more powerful mapping option than OnX and much cheaper. Can get USGS quad topos, Google Earth imagery, tons of trail maps....Only downfall is it doesn't have some of the 'possible access' layers that OnX does.

FLGobstopper

Dusting icon is another great idea!

harleytom

Love OnX. Used its layers function this week to pinpoint WIHA in Kansas. Really helps trying to pinpoint roosting areas in those states with lots of open country.

perrytrails

Quote from: crow on April 23, 2021, 06:28:01 PM
If these guys at onx and the other apps are turkey hunters, how do you know this isn't just some "Deep State" scheme to hack into your secret turkey spots, and your paying them to do it.  :TooFunny:

You all are way more trusting than I am
I've pondered this myself. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but you are saving waypoints, at certain times of the year. Someone......can see that information.

Funny how I've had a certain area in public to myself all my life. It was so overlooked it wasn't funny. I stayed outta there all year every year till time to get in there. I usually tagged out quickly. (Deer)

I got OnX and used it to mark several places in that area.
The next year there were 2 groups of out of state guys camping there. And two other guys driving in from a hotel room near by.

It's never been the same since.
I understand it's public.
I never had a issue till I used OnX there.

Turkeyman

Quote from: perrytrails on May 16, 2021, 10:21:06 AM
It's never been the same since.
I understand it's public.
I never had a issue till I used OnX there.

Never really considered this but food for thought perhaps.

camotoe

That's what happened to my spot in the big cypress 4 mile walk in. Some how the u tubers are right on the x and then they set up a camp
Out here .

Turkeyman

Also, if you're going to take a phone pic make sure you turn off Location before taking it. Very easy to find otherwise.

HillclimberWV

Onx saved me this morning. I was working a couple of gobblers and i. The heat of the moment when i made a move i left my box call laying by the tree i had sat beside. It was about 35 minutes of cat and mouse before i realized i had left it somewhere. I didnt get the gobbler but was lucky enough to retrace my steps and find my call.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: HillclimberWV on May 16, 2021, 06:55:18 PM
Onx saved me this morning. I was working a couple of gobblers and i. The heat of the moment when i made a move i left my box call laying by the tree i had sat beside. It was about 35 minutes of cat and mouse before i realized i had left it somewhere. I didnt get the gobbler but was lucky enough to retrace my steps and find my call.
If we don't do this at least once a season with a call or striker, are we even turkey hunting I've probably walked a good twenty or thirty miles through the years backtracking to find my favorite striker. I vowed this year I'd paint a fluorescent line around the handle. Will see if I'm that smart before next season.

HillclimberWV

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 17, 2021, 07:41:42 AM
Quote from: HillclimberWV on May 16, 2021, 06:55:18 PM
If we don't do this at least once a season with a call or striker, are we even turkey hunting I've probably walked a good twenty or thirty miles through the years backtracking to find my favorite striker. I vowed this year I'd paint a fluorescent line around the handle. Will see if I'm that smart before next season.

Its sure enough easy to do when your in the thick of it. I lost a woodhaven birch striker last year and i searched for a couple hours and came up empty. Since then i track myself everytime i leave the truck.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr