OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old School / New School and watching Hunting Public on TV

Started by Greg Massey, May 09, 2021, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

I really enjoy watching these young men on Youtube killing turkeys. But if you will notice the most important part of their ARSENAL isn't necessarily the camera, camo, guns or shells, it's the cell phone. AS we all know hunting has been taking a different direction for several years. I do see the good and bad of it all. I do agree it's all preference of what you wanting to use and how you wanting to hunt. As i see it we all hunt these gobblers in different ways. I'm sure us old school hunters have learned some new tactics form these younger guys and the same with them learning from us old school guys. IMO.

camotoe

Turn off your location on your cell when you post pictures or the u tubers will be in your spot . I am not savvy enough with these things but have been told this and have had them show up 4 miles in the cypress right on top of me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

The phone plays a major starring role because OnX is the big sponsor. Things that don't pay the bills don't get air time.

Don't see them hyping who made their tents and sleeping bags. In the end its still a commercial.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Dtrkyman

Mapping apps on your phone are a huge advantage, looking at the terrain a bird is standing on and accessing a likely place he will go from there can be vital.  You can access a situation without ever stepping foot on a ridge a bird is gobbling from.

Extremely helpful in unfamiliar terrain, I have killed a few birds in the past few years right where I dropped a waypoint on my laptop in bed somewhere I have never set foot.

I understand ONX is a sponsor, however if you do not think it can be a major advantage you do not understand how to use it properly!

g8rvet

I recall when Google Earth and the like first hit the internet and we used it to mark holes in the timber and killed more than a few ducks by walking in to those holes that we would have never seen in locations we would have never tried (out of state).  The flip side is that our secret holes that we had found with boot leather and scouting in our home state were discovered by others as well.  A great little woodie hole on public land is pretty much gone for us due to cyber scouting.  I am sure there were people who's toes we stepped on in Mississippi too.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ShootingABN!

I like watching them also.

The OnX app is awesome. Love it over the old GPS garmin and carrying a big map folded up....

Property lines and your location at real time are awesome.