turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Burris SpeedBead Sight

Started by allaboutshooting, May 29, 2011, 09:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Several months ago I mounted a Burris SpeedBead sight on my original SBE. Since that time, I've taken it to the range at every opportunity to see how it would hold up under fire.

I've now completed my "Product Test" article and my evaluation of the SpeedBead sight and you can read the results at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

I hope you find the evaluation helpful.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kdog

Nice write up Clark,.Im going to have to check one out.It looks like this is mounted nice and low.I recently bought a reflex type sight but the one thing that bothers me about is that it has a high site picture bringing your cheek off the stock.It looks like this site mounts nice and low giving you a nice cheek weld.

Kdog

mightyjoeyoung

Nice write up!  I LOVE my Speed Bead!  I have both the Speed Bead mount for my SBE II and the Weaver/piccatiny mount...for everything else.  I can hunt turkeys, geese, bunnies and doves, etc. with the same gun/sight combo!  That little bugger is one tough sight!  I really like the fact that it self-adjusts to light conditions, so no matter if it's dawn witha big tom at 35 yards in the timber or you're hammering doves or geese at mid day, the dot is just bright enough.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The only negative I see with this sight is it won't work on top tang safety guns like the Moss 835 or Moss 500 or some of the Brownings. 

allaboutshooting

Thank you for the positive comments on the article. Hopefully it will answer some questions people may have about the SpeedBead sight.

Thanks again,
Clark

goblr77

I appreciate the info Mr. Clark.

neal

I agree 100% I have a speedbead mounted on both of my SBEII's one for turkey the other for waterfowl and they are down right awesome!!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

allaboutshooting

Thank you all for the feedback. It's good to hear that others also have had good results with that sight.

Thanks,
Clark

decoykrvr

Great product review!!  Clark, since you've played w/ the sight, what is your subjective evaluation regarding the long-term stability of this particular mounting set-up.  I've had several friends question how well it would stand up to harsh field conditions.  Thanks,
Craig

allaboutshooting

Quote from: decoykrvr on May 31, 2011, 12:46:07 PM
Great product review!!  Clark, since you've played w/ the sight, what is your subjective evaluation regarding the long-term stability of this particular mounting set-up.  I've had several friends question how well it would stand up to harsh field conditions.  Thanks,
Craig

Hey Craig,

Thank you. I've had the SpeedBead on the SBE for a few months now and shot it all that I could whenever I went to the range to try to give it as much of a workout as possible.

We've had a lot of temperature and humidity changes during that time as well. The stock on my SBE is synthetic so it may not be effected as much by those changing conditions as a wooden stock might be but that was a question that I had.

I have not babied it all, just handled it as I would any other sighted gun. I've been pleased at just how sturdy the mount is. It has not moved and when you grab it and try to move it, it feels very solid.

The sight itself is very sturdy with steel construction and torx screws for attachment. I have not really kept a record of just how many 3" turkey loads I've put through that gun over the last few months but it's more than most of us would shoot at the patterning board and in several seasons. (I've been evaluating several Benelli chokes over that time.) The sight has remained physically solid and the zero has not changed.

Lastly, I've had very bad experiences with all kinds of sights. Most are just not made for the kind of abuse that a heavy diet of 3" full power turkey loads deliver. I've literally had very good scopes come apart. If for any reason this one "dies" I can still use my open sights just by looking through the lens.

So, while it's just been a few months, it's had a lot of use and held up to the abuse I've given it.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark

mightyjoeyoung

Craig

I AM NOT gentle on my shotguns!  Especially on my waterfowl guns.  Wet, cold, muddy conditions...The Speed Bead hasn't even hiccuped and has stood up to the recoil of everything from light dove/trap loads to 3.5" HEAVY, NASTY turkey loads and sharp recoiling steel loads.  If you purchase one you won't be disappointed!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on May 31, 2011, 02:39:20 PM
Craig

I AM NOT gentle on my shotguns!  Especially on my waterfowl guns.  Wet, cold, muddy conditions...The Speed Bead hasn't even hiccuped and has stood up to the recoil of everything from light dove/trap loads to 3.5" HEAVY, NASTY turkey loads and sharp recoiling steel loads.  If you purchase one you won't be disappointed!

That's very good to hear. I really appreciate your input on the SpeedBead. There's really nothing like hearing from someone who's used a product over time and in different conditions.

Thanks again,
Clark