turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

World Slam

Started by OJR, May 04, 2021, 10:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJR

I have harvested a few turkeys over the years. From Florida to New York and from Montana to the Yucatan. Wednesday morning at 10:30 am Mountain Time. At about 8000 feet in the Sierr@  Madre Mountains of Mexico, my journey for the Wild Turkey World Slam came to a happy end. Several people, all dear friends, have been with me along the way. One in particular, one of the most prolific turkey hunters of all time, was with me on every stop. He knows who he is, and I want to say thanks.

MissLouHunter

JeffC

Congratulations on a hell of a accomplishment.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

WTNUT

Congratulations!!!!   I have harvested my share of Easterns,  but no others.  For those of us who have not tried to venture as far as you,  will you please let us know which were the toughest to harvest?

OJR

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words.

I would have to say that Easterns are the toughest typically due to their habitat and hunting pressure. They mostly are in heavily wooded, thick cover that makes them hard to spot as well as makes them very weary of predator's. That said you can find exceptions to any rule. Osceola's tend to be very aggressive and seem not as risk averse as Easterns. Rio's and Merriam's can be spotted from a ways off and stalked with great success. Ocellated are purely an ambush. Get in the area known to hold birds and hope one will walk by.
My last hunt was for Gould's. It was more like Elk hunting. Call, listen, chase, call, listen, chase, you get the idea. I was on him for 5 hours, up and down the mountains and draws, before I got a shot. These are my personal observations. I am, by no means an expert. Just really have enjoyed the journey and hope it continues.

CALLM2U

Really cool!   A lot of time, effort and money invested in that accomplishment! 

neal

Congratulations and welcome to the club!!! It is an incredible adventure!!

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Yoteduster

Congrats on a great and hard earned accomplishment...

nitro

Congrats !!  I only lack the Ocellated. May not ever do that one, but in my experience, the Gould's hunt was the most enjoyable of all. Great adventure and the Gould's live in some astonishing country.
Royal Slam 2008

OJR

I agree. The Gould's was the most enjoyable. What beautiful country. Felt like I was on the Ponderosa!

Wigsplitter

That's a great milestone there!!

WV Flopper

AWESOME. That is Awesome.

arrow1

Congratulations!  It's something I'm working towards.  Im one Oseceola short of 3 Grand Slams and yet to go for the Goulds or Oscealated.  The places you travel to and the people you meet along the journey add to the memories.  I would say we all end up harvesting the most number of turkeys of which we have access to. However, the first time an Eastern turkey hunter like myself went West it was such a unique experience.  I can only imagine what it will be like to hear a Goulds gobble or Oscellated sing. Im glad you shared your journey with us. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

Chris O

Congrats on your great accomplishment!!!!

Yoder409

Quote from: nitro on May 04, 2021, 06:35:13 PM
Congrats !!  I only lack the Ocellated. May not ever do that one, but in my experience, the Gould's hunt was the most enjoyable of all. Great adventure and the Gould's live in some astonishing country.

Me....... This.    ^^^^^^^^^^

CONGRATULATIONS, sir !!!!!

I've completed two Royal Slams.  But I don't know as that I have a huge desire to pursue the Oscellated.  That could change.  But not feeling it right now.

Agreed that the Gould's run around in some of the world's most beautiful scenery.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.