turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Transport Laws

Started by Hobbes, April 13, 2021, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I think often times guys travel without fully researching the transport laws of the their destination states.  In addition to transport laws, several states require you to keep more than just the breast of a wild turkey.
Here are the rules in some of the states that are west of many of you that I know some of you are headed to.  Some of them may have more requirements than listed.  Note that wings are included in Montana.  Like them or not, you'll be cited for a violation if you don't follow them and get checked.

Wyoming:
(d) Evidence of Sex. During the spring season in those hunt areas limited to the taking of male wild turkeys or any wild turkey with a visible beard, a visible beard shall remain naturally attached to the carcass as a means of identification in the field and while the wild turkey is being transported.

Montana:
Evidence of Sex (MCA 87-6-406, CR) – No person shall transport within the state any turkey taken during the spring (male) season unless one leg and foot are left naturally attached for evidence of sex. The leg and foot shall remain attached at all times while being transported from the place where taken until they have arrived at the permanent residence of the possessor.

Waste of Gamebird (MCA 87-6-205)– It is unlawful to waste any part of a game bird suitable for food. Following are turkey parts suitable for food: breasts, thighs and wings.

South Dakota:
Wild turkeys, unless processed at a wildlife processing facility and accompanied by the receipt, or at the domicile of the processor, shall include the attached leg and foot bearing the tag issued with the license. Any person who lawfully takes a wild turkey may remove edible portions from the turkey while in the field and transport providing the person also has in their possession the beard, leg and foot with the attached tag until the bird has arrived at the domicile of the processor. Any person licensed to take "any turkey" is exempt from transporting the beard.

Nebraska:
It is unlawful to possess any turkey unless the legs, thighs, and breast remain together until the bird is consumed or the bird arrives at the permanent abode of the possessor. The breast meat may be removed from the bones but must remain as two entire halves. Birds taken in the spring must have proof of sex consisting of:

the legs with spurs naturally attached;
the beard naturally attached to the breast; or
the detached beard with at least ¼-inch of skin remaining at the attachment site and kept together with the leg, thighs and breast.

Kansas:
The beard of the wild turkey must remain naturally attached to the breast while in transit from the site of the kill to the permittee's residence or to a place of processing or preservation unless the permittee has obtained a transportation confirmation number through electronic registration, or the permittee retains photographs necessary for electronic registration until registration occurs. "Electronically registering" shall mean submitting required information and digital photographs of the turkey breast and completed carcass tag showing signature on a completed carcass tag.

Cowboy

Thanks for the info Hobbes. I'm sure you're correct on that.

Blackduck

Write the ticket then. Some of these laws are stupid. Like keeping a wing or head attached to waterfowl until getting home. Sorry, but I don't have the cooler space, nor do I like the bacteria introduced into my meat, from leaving wings or heads attached on a 5 day trip. So "there's the meat, there's the carcass" is about as good as I'm willing to be.

Thanks for the heads up Hobbes.

CodyF

Better get a bigger cooler if you don't have room. The rules are there for a reason, just because you think it's stupid doesn't give you the right to ignore them. And you know the reason why there are those rules but blatantly disregarding them is juvenile and ridiculous.

Quote from: Blackduck on April 20, 2021, 06:31:25 AM
Write the ticket then. Some of these laws are stupid. Like keeping a wing or head attached to waterfowl until getting home. Sorry, but I don't have the cooler space, nor do I like the bacteria introduced into my meat, from leaving wings or heads attached on a 5 day trip. So "there's the meat, there's the carcass" is about as good as I'm willing to be.

Thanks for the heads up Hobbes.

Turkeyman

Well...I'm going to "assume" that the reason for these laws are to differentiate the difference between shooting hens vs. gobblers. If that's really the case then the various conservation departments are a bunch of idiots. The percentage of hunters...particularly non-residents...that would do so is so miniscule it wouldn't even be a factor. A "real" turkey hunter would want to take a few pics of his bird to show friends and family...in addition to the meat. But maybe that's just my way of thinking and some out-of-state hunters would shoot hens.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Cowboy on April 20, 2021, 05:38:53 AM
Thanks for the info Hobbes. I'm sure you're correct on that.
X2

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

joey46

????Montana - recently watched a segment of MEATEATER on the Outdoor Channel.  The host was hunting National Forest in MT and shot a bird.  He carried it back to camp where he plucked/cleaned it, then cooked and ate portions that evening.  Seems to violate the law as written concerning "permanent residence" unless a camp site qualifies.
I have the show recorded.  I'll watch it again and see if it's mentioned.  He normally discusses these tagging and possession requirements.  One of the better shows on the channel.