OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Worms in turkeys

Started by RAU, April 24, 2021, 07:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAU

My son shot a Jake this am in the youth season in Pennsylvania. Wasn't the best shot in the world the  bird took several to the body. I could smell gut right away so I field dressed the bird immediately. Intestines were ruptured inside and what I saw was truly really disgusting!!!! Several skinny, white, several inch long squirming worms!!! I got video of them but by the time I thought to film they really slowed down. Anyone ever see this? I'm hoping it's probably more common than I think. Anyone ever see this? Anyone think we should have any concerns eating this bird?

Crghss

Never heard of this before. A previous injury/wound is the only thing I can think of.

I've some times/rarely seen worms in grouper/flounder/trout. But in a turkey never.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

mikejd

I know that many wild animals have parasites like that. Deer have many different types. Give it a search. I dont go looking for them because Id rather not see them.

Sir-diealot

I did a simple good search and was surprised how many different kinds there are. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=white+worms+in+wild+turkey
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RAU

Bird was totally healthy looking. Works were present in ruptured gut only meat looked totally fine. I don't think there will be a problem with the meat. Hope not anyway

Moneyball11

I've worked with my share of domestic turkeys, testing for worms is very routine and quite common. I can only imagine it would be the same for wild birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpy

Makes me wander if these warms are killing are turkey population here in PA. Something is without a doubt happening to the population.

Marc

Quote from: RAU on April 24, 2021, 08:28:02 PM
Bird was totally healthy looking. Works were present in ruptured gut only meat looked totally fine. I don't think there will be a problem with the meat. Hope not anyway
No turkey sushi or ceviche...  Fry that bird up, and cook it good.  I'd bet many birds have been eaten with some sort of parasite...

I shot one last week that had some sort of tumor in the meat.  I cut the area out, and plan on cooking the bird well.  Meat looks good otherwise, and was full of berries (from where I do not know).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Jimspur

RAU

I tried to post the video of these nasty things but it's too big. Anyone wants to see it let me know I'll text or email it to you

Mossberg90MN

I'm almost certain it's totally fine. They eat worms and live in the wild. As long as it was all in the guts. I wouldn't care. Make sure it's cooked well and have at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejd

Its poultry anyway so Im sure no one is eating theirs rare.

I have caught may a fish with worms in the meat. As long as you cook thoroughly you will be good.

This is coming from someone who had trichinosis a few years ago. Know idea where I got that. When the CDC called me to tell me they said less then 20 people a year still get that here in the US.
I know its very common in bears but have not had bear meat in a while.

Gobbler-one

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 24, 2021, 07:37:18 PM
I did a simple good search and was surprised how many different kinds there are. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=white+worms+in+wild+turkey
Interesting read. Thanks for the link.