OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I need opinions on a shotgun strictly for turkey hunting.

Started by Mountain Man, May 27, 2011, 06:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jig pitcher

If you want to stick with 12 gauge, the mossberg 835 or 935 will more than likely outshoot the others.  If you want the ultimate pattern and range, and don't mind toting a mini-cannon, the Remington SP-10 is the Ferrari of Turkey guns IMO.  I think they discontinued it after 2010, so if you want one, you'd better start looking now.

Wingbone

I have a BPS, Vinci, SX2, Gold, and a Remington ShurShot Turkey 870. I have used them all for turkeys, but I always go back to the 870. The ShurShot model like in the picture on Page 1. Only difference is I have the TruGlo saddle mount Red Dot on mine with the Indian Creek .665. It is the best patterning of the four I use, and by FAR the most reliable. For a dedicated turkey gun, I have to recommend the 870. One thing though, make sure you get the 23" barrel instead of the 21". There is a considerable difference in pattern with heavy loads.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

chipper

I'd be willing to bet that if you will try some of the 2.75 HTL offerings you could have akilling pattern at 40 yards with what you have,Your not gonna it 300 in the 10" but you don't have to to kill turkeys and I believe you can hit that 100 in 10" easily.

chipper

A 870 remington express, Mossberg 500, or 8rd Mossberg will be your best bets if your set on a new gun, I've killed turkeys with all 3 but the decision is yours, all 3 Are rugged guns that will hold up.

davisd9

835 is what I am setting up for a strictly turkey gun.  It is already drilled and tapped if you decide to add a sight other than fiber optic.  It shoots all size shells.  Walmart has one that is in Mossy Oak Break up here is SC for $327 before tax.  It already has the fiber optic sights and comes with an extra full choke.  THat is what I am going to get, but am going to put my star dot in it.  Other good ones are Remington 870SM, 11-87, and Mossberg 935.   Good Luck and let us know what direction you decide to go.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BHMTitan

With the right load/choke combo, 2-3/4" is fine out to 40 yrds; I've been killing them for years with a 12g 2-3/4" Browning A5.  With HTL, you can get a little more.  I killed one this year at 45 yrds w/ Hevi-13 #6.

decoykrvr

I've owned  835's and killed several turkeys with them, but they're clunkers and swing like a 2x4.  Before all of the dedicated 835 shooters on here go wild,  they pattern great, are heavy, are prone to rattle badly, are a stable shooting platform, but are not an ideal gun if wing shooting or a run-and-gun turkey rig is required.  The 870 is by design a wingshooters gun and will kick substantially more than the 835 with the same shells.  The 870 is better balanced and internally better made with fewer stamped parts.  With all this said, I opt to turkey hunt with  the lightest, quickest handling repeater available, and thus hunt with a 12 gauge, 3", Ithaca Model 37.  I've run the gamete from Mag 10's through most of the better 31/2", 12 gauge guns available, and still have the majority of them, but have found that HTL ammo has made them redundant and IMO overkill.

davisd9

Quote from: decoykrvr on May 31, 2011, 01:11:30 PM
I've owned  835's and killed several turkeys with them, but they're clunkers and swing like a 2x4.  Before all of the dedicated 835 shooters on here go wild,  they pattern great, are heavy, are prone to rattle badly, are a stable shooting platform, but are not an ideal gun if wing shooting or a run-and-gun turkey rig is required.  The 870 is by design a wingshooters gun and will kick substantially more than the 835 with the same shells.  The 870 is better balanced and internally better made with fewer stamped parts.  With all this said, I opt to turkey hunt with  the lightest, quickest handling repeater available, and thus hunt with a 12 gauge, 3", Ithaca Model 37.  I've run the gamete from Mag 10's through most of the better 31/2", 12 gauge guns available, and still have the majority of them, but have found that HTL ammo has made them redundant and IMO overkill.

I have an older 835 and agree with your assessment to a tee, even tho I hunt with it, but the new designs they have come out with are nothing like the old.  They are lighter, more ergonomic, and just shoulder great!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

The 870 didn't get to be Americas #1 selling pump shotgun by luck or by not working.  I have owned five 870 shotguns over the years and only had a small plug problem with one that had to go back to the company.  It was fixed in no time and worked great ever since.  I like my 835, but it is heavier to tote.  The 870 handles better, functions better and looks better.  But it won't shoot better than my 835.  I think the 835 is a very good shotgun.  Mine came with a 10yr warranty.  And I do think it will last a long time.  Like I said it's been my best shooting shotgun I have ever owned.  And it makes one heck of a turkey gun in my opinion.  And a lot of other guys will say the same. 

surehuntsalot

the Mossberg 835 is the "only" turkey gun there is
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mikejd

I cannot speak from experience on this one but there was a guy at the range the other day patterning the new Ithaca turkey slayer. It is advertised as the first 50yd turkey gun. The guy said that it is a new type of design were the barrel and receiver were one solid piece built this way for accuracy. again I cannot speak from experience with this model although I do have a turkey slayer myself ( mine is about 10 yrs old and of a different design)along with 870 and 2 1300 I prefer my 1300 hands down however the new turkeyslayer looks nice on there website. I'm going to give it a look.

Gobble!

stone road turkey calls

When you walk up to that dead turkey look at what is in your hand, that will be the one.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Longshanks

While we are just throwing guns out here: Berettas are the best in my opinion on many different levels and I've shot most guns out there.. :you_rock: