OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I need opinions on a shotgun strictly for turkey hunting.

Started by Mountain Man, May 27, 2011, 06:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain Man

I've killed way more gobblers with a bow than shotgun but in the future I see myself doing more shotgun hunting than I have in the past.  I currently have a Remington 1100 12 ga. in 2 3/4".  This gun works fine but I'd like the option of going up to 3 1/2" so I could still use the shorter shells if I wanted.  I would prefer 12 ga but would consider 10 ga.  With my current setup I don't like to shoot past about 30 yds. with the 2 3/4".  Going to a 3" or 3 1/2" would extend my range a bit.  What do you veteran shotgun turkey hunters recommend for a good "turkey " gun that could extend my range?

Fastcat

When thinking of a gun strictly for turkey hunting the Mossberg 835 comes to mind. It is over bored and allows you to achieve the maximum potential of today's turkey loads. When equipped with the proper choke.

nyhunter

Remington 870 super mag , Mossberg 835, Browning BPS  31/2. Most importantly, which ever one of those 3 fits, feels, best in YOUR hands.

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: nyhunter on May 27, 2011, 07:41:41 PM
Remington 870 super mag , Mossberg 835, Browning BPS  31/2. Most importantly, which ever one of those 3 fits, feels, best in YOUR hands.

Great advice, all 3 are great turkey guns. Most important to handle them and see what fits you best.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

pullit

sugarray

Quote from: Spuriosity on May 27, 2011, 08:30:39 PMThose guns are great options, but there is one more. I don't know if you have any interest in rolling your own, but if you do, TSS will turn that 2.75" 1100 into a whole 'nother animal. Guys are doing amazing things with TSS and the 20 gauge. Your 2.75" 12 gauge is ballistically superior to the 20 in every way. But far be it from me to discourage anyone that wants to buy another shotgun. Can't ever have too many. Just food for thought.

This is great info.  My crimped shells are not quite 2.75".  There are 2.75 recipes that would make that rig a killer.  If you really want a new one look at the Rem SM from WalMart.  $347 for a camo 3.5" gun.  The 835 is a/the patterning gun.  You won't be  disappointed.

ILIKEHEVI-13

For the money the Rem 870 Super Mag or Moss 835 will be hard to beat.  If you want the best shooting gun, the 835 is the way to go.  The 870 will be the better built gun.  But both will do you well.  All you have to do is shoot Hevi-13 loads and find the right choke.  

sugarray

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 28, 2011, 09:14:15 AM
For the money the Rem 870 Super Mag or Moss 835 will be hard to beat.  If you want the best shooting gun, the 835 is the way to go.  The 870 will be the better built gun.  But both will do you well.  All you have to do is shoot Hevi-13 loads and find the right choke.  

Based on what information?  The 835 are tanks.  I haven't heard of any one having trouble.  I have 3 buddies that shoot them, have for 10 yrs and have never had any trouble.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have both.  I like both.  But the 870 is the better built gun.  Take one a part and you shall see.  The 870 will last a lifetime and then some. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I love my 835, but I know of some people on here that will tell you they wouldn't buy another.  Ask Reloader which is the better built gun.  He has both.  Ask bird?  I know he had trouble with his or maybe even 2.  Just stating from what 2 guys I know have said. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I have had mine for probably 12yrs and I haven't had any trouble either.  Like I said I like mine, and it will out shoot my 870.  But my 870 is a the 3" Express model.  But the 835 will shoot the better patterns with dang near the same loads in both guns everytime.  But if I had to choose one gun, the 870 would be my pick. 

redleg06

I made the same decision before this last season and chose the 870 SPS --- couldnt be happier.

I added a scope and pure gold choke and it was good to go. I absolutely love the way the gun handles and I've had great patterns with it, despite the shorter barrel length. 

If I did it all over again, I wouldnt change a thing.

drenalinld

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 28, 2011, 09:14:15 AM
Exactly my thoughts. 835 will throw better patterns, but I still like the 870 better.

Longshanks

Rem 870.  I have two old 12 guage wingmasters and they shoot great, no problems with the guns after 35 years. My gunsmith replaced one spring in one of the guns as a precautionary. 3in shells in these guns is a killer.  I shoot 3.5in shells out of an automatic.  A 3.5 shell in any of the guns mentioned will kick the dog out of you.  The Rem 870 is more quality for the money.