only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Might have landed a “Holy Grail”

Started by Tom007, March 24, 2021, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: mrlongbeard on March 28, 2021, 08:29:21 AM
Congrats on a great find.
11/87 Sps t guns in Trebark are indeed rare.
They were introduced in 1992 only as the Nwtf gun of the year.
I have quite an extensive Old School Remington collection and have found more Trebark guns than Greenleaf guns it seems. I own 6 Trebark 11/87's.

Wow, nice collection. You indeed have a great collection. I only have 2, the other is an 870 Orig Bottomland. Will keep my ye out for more. Be safe, good luck this season...
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

Nice find Tom007. Looks like it's in great shape. I could kick myself, being the procrastinator i am, at waiting too long to buy an old 835 turkey in the realtree camo really cheap.. It was in perfect shape, really dusty, probably from sitting in the back of somebody's closet for a couple decades.I have several guns i set up to hunt turkey with, but none that are what you would call dedicated. Always had a nostalgic soft spot for the older ones with the ribbed fore ends and the realtree camo. I video filmed a turkey hunt of my brother in law, hunting with a gun just like it a long time ago.It was his brother's gun, and he had borrowed it for turkey season. Great times! My b.i.l. has since passed on,and  I lost track of the dvd that i copied it to, i need to find it so i can give it to his son to have.Funny how guns are sometimes worth more than the sum of their parts.

Tom007

Quote from: the Ward on March 28, 2021, 10:11:29 AM
Nice find Tom007. Looks like it's in great shape. I could kick myself, being the procrastinator i am, at waiting too long to buy an old 835 turkey in the realtree camo really cheap.. It was in perfect shape, really dusty, probably from sitting in the back of somebody's closet for a couple decades.I have several guns i set up to hunt turkey with, but none that are what you would call dedicated. Always had a nostalgic soft spot for the older ones with the ribbed fore ends and the realtree camo. I video filmed a turkey hunt of my brother in law, hunting with a gun just like it a long time ago.It was his brother's gun, and he had borrowed it for turkey season. Great times! My b.i.l. has since passed on,and  I lost track of the dvd that i copied it to, i need to find it so i can give it to his son to have.Funny how guns are sometimes worth more than the sum of their parts.

Wow, sorry to hear about your loss. Treasure the memories, they are priceless. Yes, I am into the older guns, I guess I am a Turkey gun junkie. The older ones are getting tough to get, many people are collecting them. It is a fun hobby. Be safe, stay well...you will come across another Old 835......
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

Yes, i love the vintage factory turkey guns too! I remember it all kind of took off big time in the 1980's, lot's of neat models coming out every year. Love the new stuff they are making now too.I think my favorites were the Remington S.P. models, satin wood and parkerized metal. Loved the camo ones too, but the wood and metal ones just seemed like they all business.Thank you for the condolences, he had passed away several years ago. We had been friends since child hood, and he and my sister ended up getting married. We had a ton of hunting and fishing adventures. Sadly, he had gotten  injured at work, and got addicted to oxy, which then led to other stuff. My sister and him divorced after years of trying to get him help. He turned into a completely different person, one that i didn't know any more, just a real sad situation. In the end, the drugs won. It burns me up when i hear groups advocating for legalizing a lot of these drugs, i have known far too many people who's live's were destroyed by drugs. Anyhow, looking forward to picking up a few nice turkey guns in the future, this time i'm not going to hem and haw about it, indecision has cost me some nice guns at nice prices. Don't know if we are ever getting back to having good deals for a good while!

Tom007

Amen my brother. With regards to the turkey guns, you just have to get lucky, right place, right time, right price. They are out there, but slim pickings. Have a great season, best of luck...
"Solo hunter"

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

jruff002

i saved my money and that was my first turkey gun, 11/87 SP w/21" barrel, my dad has same one but w/26" barrel.  My 21" would outshoot his 26", i had a hastings (thinking .660) choke and it would flat kill turkeys to 60 yards everytime with 6's.  Dad was friends w/machine shop guys that were big clay shooters so they ported our barrels that had 24 ports on each side and you could shoot 3" mag loads like any other light loads but that's also the reason i've had tinnitus since i was 28.  I killed several piles of turkeys w/that gun and i loved that short barrel other than ear ringing.

Jc69

Nice!  I had been kind of keeping my eye out for an "old school" remington myself over the summer.  I didn't even look very hard, just went into different gunshops over the summer while on vacation  and just happened to stumble on one about 5 miles from my house on consignment in a gun shop.  Mine isn't what I guess you would call a "true" old school one, but it was close enough for me.  Mine is the 21 inch 1187 Special Purpose Turkey, but it was made in 2000.  I think it is the original Mossy Oak Breakup.  I would have preferred the bottomland, greenleaf but I was tickled to stumble on her nontheless for $400.

Dr Juice

Congrats Tom. Nice find. I don't see many in that camo version. Good luck with it

Tom007

Quote from: Dr Juice on April 07, 2021, 11:45:19 AM
Congrats Tom. Nice find. I don't see many in that camo version. Good luck with it

Thanks my friend, good luck to you as well...
"Solo hunter"