North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys VS Hunters

Started by GobbleNut, February 13, 2011, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you have heard what you thought was another hunter calling poorly and had that hunter turn out to be a real, live turkey?

Yes, that has happened to me
29 (76.3%)
No, that has never happened to me
9 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

GobbleNut

I'm in a "polling" kind'a mood,....let's see what happens with this one!

chatterbox

Me and Harrison were in a blind on a field, when we heard this God-awful yelping coming from below us. I said to Harrison, that has got to be a numb hunter. No turkey will ever call like that. The toms in the trees were going nuts!
Well, a little while later, this hen hops over the wall and comes up to our decoy yelping and carrying on to beat the band, sounding just like the one we heard earlier!
Go figure.

OLE RASPY

It has never happenend to me.One morning i heard some hen calling that sounded pretty good then followed by a gobble.It sounded real to me.I got up and started sneaking around to this power line still on my property and got to the edge of this power line and about 300 yards there it was 2 turkeys in the power line one in strut and one feeding hen(decoys)lol.20 yards beyond them was a hunter sitting in orange on private property.Ive heard some nasty yelping though but knew it was hen cuz i was watching her.

guesswho

Never happened to me that I know of.   It's hard to explain but a bad sounding hen still sounds like a turkey.  And a good caller sounds like a good caller on a call.   Not many people out there that can fool someone who knows what a turkey sounds like, while running a call.   I have some friends who produce great turkey talk with calls.  But while hunting and seperated from them I can not only tell you it's somebody, I can tell you who it is.   People tend to imitate good stage callers and not turkeys.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jay

Once, and I was ticked because I was on private, and no one else was suppose to be there. Then down from a hill came the worst sounding Hen I've ever heard. Awful sound, vaguely sounding like Yelping. She was by herself for good reason, because listening to her would have given any Turkey a headache.

Gobble!

turkey slayer

I have had it happen a few times.