Main Menu

Predator control - public vs private

Started by g8rvet, March 11, 2021, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Mods: Please remove. 

My post moved to:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,102585.0.html
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

nativeks

So I have been in conversation with our state furbearer biologist, state turkey biologist, state quail biologist, as well as 2 NWTF biologists that live around here. It all started when I was trying to get the state to lift the racoon season and make it year round similar to how coyotes are here. Basically I wanted to declare open season on as many nest raiders as feasible. The consensus was quality habitat was better money spent than trapping. In fact I am currently enrolled in a habitat program that has me removing the invasive trees from my prairie to create less raptor perches to help ground nesting birds. Since I started the program I have went from no quail, to at least 1 if not 2 coveys on a good year on my small acreage. Some years we find baby turkeys, but a year like last year I found 3 raided nests. I've restored fire to my property, planted native warm season grasses, planted shrubs, and removed trees trying to make my place more friendly for ground nesting birds. I am currently trying to set up a rotational burn plan on my small acreage that includes a growing season burn so I can use less chemical going after sericea lespedeza.